• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lets get it on AK vs AR which will you choose?

Ak or AR when the Koreans invade?

• AK 47

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • Ar 15

Votes: 77 61.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Elaborate on this if you don't mind. I have no illusions of grandeur about the 5.45 but I wouldn't say it is a terrible design.
The "flipping bullet" idea is really a myth. While the cavity does in fact induce the tumbling of the bullet, that has a very little effect on wound damage. A Fragmenting bullet is much more effective or a large bullet that can dump tons of energy is more effective as well.

First off most rifle bullets will yaw or turn at one point and often exit backwards, while there is a small area of permanent cavity that is larger and some more stretched tissue due to this it happens with most non-fragmenting rounds(almost all the major ww2 rifle calibers did this, often FMJ pistol calibers will do this as well).

Second I'll put the pic up, but 5.45x39 has about the same percentage and range to yaw as the NATO 5.56 has to shatter, and shattering as seen below has some devastating effects. Pretty much the Russians should have worked up a fragmenting FMJ.

i49.tinypic.com_vqi6ug.jpg

You'll notice that 7.62x39 flips as well and no one calls it the "poison bullet", most of its credibility comes from increased bullet weights for faster energy transferthe 53g 5.56 flips as well.

The "flipping bullet" idea is really a myth. While the cavity does in fact induce the tumbling of the bullet, that has a very little effect on wound damage. A Fragmenting bullet is much more effective or a large bullet that can dump tons of energy is more effective as well.

First off most rifle bullets will yaw or turn at one point and often exit backwards, while there is a small area of permanent cavity that is larger and some more stretched tissue due to this it happens with most non-fragmenting rounds(almost all the major ww2 rifle calibers did this, often FMJ pistol calibers will do this as well).

Second I'll put the pic up, but 5.45x39 has about the same percentage and range to yaw as the NATO 5.56 has to shatter, and shattering as seen below has some devastating effects. Pretty much the Russians should have worked up a fragmenting FMJ.

i49.tinypic.com_vqi6ug.jpg

You'll notice that 7.62x39 flips as well and no one calls it the "poison bullet", most of its credibility comes from increased bullet weights for faster energy transferthe 53g 5.56 flips as well.

I agree with all that and I've seen the chart countless times. We are leaving out context though. The 5.45x39 round was developed with automatic fire in mind. A lightweight round with low recoil that can be carried in large amounts and be fired on full auto with much more control than 7.62x39 while still maintaining decent wounding characteristics. I feel like the 5.45x39 fits that bill pretty well. I definitely think the "tumbling" effects are exaggerated but they are not a myth. The 5.45 does tumble sooner than other rounds because of its design and it may tumble more than other rounds depending on where/what it hits. Also, unlike most 5.56 fmj rounds the wounding mechanism of 5.45 is not affected by velocity. Fragmenting of 5.56 from everything I've read is heavily dependent on velocity at impact. Anyway, the 5.45 could definitely benefit from more modern bullet designs just like 5.56 has but considering the context of what it was originally intended for I don't think it is terrible. But yeah, right now the only real benefit 5.45 has over 5.56 is cost!

Back
Top Bottom