• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lets get it on AK vs AR which will you choose?

Ak or AR when the Koreans invade?

• AK 47

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • Ar 15

Votes: 77 61.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The keyholed bullet marks in the target are 5.45 rounds. Don't know what caliber made the concentric holes.

Imagine a 5.45 7N6 surplus round from a non-keyholeing rifle, tumbleing inside a body the width of those keyhole marks in the target. That's what that round was designed to do, with the hollow space in the tip.

I agree with all that and I've seen the chart countless times. We are leaving out context though. The 5.45x39 round was developed with automatic fire in mind. A lightweight round with low recoil that can be carried in large amounts and be fired on full auto with much more control than 7.62x39 while still maintaining decent wounding characteristics. I feel like the 5.45x39 fits that bill pretty well. I definitely think the "tumbling" effects are exaggerated but they are not a myth. The 5.45 does tumble sooner than other rounds because of its design and it may tumble more than other rounds depending on where/what it hits. Also, unlike most 5.56 fmj rounds the wounding mechanism of 5.45 is not affected by velocity. Fragmenting of 5.56 from everything I've read is heavily dependent on velocity at impact. Anyway, the 5.45 could definitely benefit from more modern bullet designs just like 5.56 has but considering the context of what it was originally intended for I don't think it is terrible. But yeah, right now the only real benefit 5.45 has over 5.56 is cost!

Also 5.56 fragments best out of a 20" barrel with dat dere added velocity, not the 14.5 on the M4.

Both rounds are nasty and hot. A piece of metal traveling ~3000 fps will put a hole in you and devastate all flesh around the entrance.

Afghanistan- 5.45 and 5.56 kill things
Iraq- 5.56 kills things
Chechnya/Grozny- 5.45 kills things
Degastan- 5.45 kills things
Georgia- 5.45 kills things

They both do what they were made to do. Now go learn to do pushups and proper running technique.

Last edited:
Here is why I choose Ar15. Because I can carry two AR15's that have totally different purposes almost in two complete differences in 5.56 and only carry one type of ammo.. One being a small light weight carbine for CQB and the other a recce that is good for mid distances.. and if that isn't going to stop you.. pop on a Beowolf upper and your ass is ****ed

My roommate is selling his AR for an AK-47. He thinks the 7.62x39 has " hyperstatic shock". I don't have the heart to tell him that it doesn't, and the firearm he already owns shoots the caliber with that capability. Poor guy gets all of his ballistic information from "SWAT Magazine" :(. I let him slide on most of the stuff he says though ;)

My roommate is selling his AR for an AK-47. He thinks the 7.62x39 has " hyperstatic shock". I don't have the heart to tell him that it doesn't, and the firearm he already owns shoots the caliber with that capability. Poor guy gets all of his ballistic information from "SWAT Magazine" :(. I let him slide on most of the stuff he says though ;)

It's hydrostatic shock. Plus in the rare case the victim does not die.... He will be crapping in a bag for the rest of his life. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom