• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newb- first AR purchase

If I was buying my first AR15 now, I would consider buying a AR15 pistol. Especially useful if you have a Georgia Weapons Carry License. The AR15 pistol can be turned into a rifle later if that is what you want to do, but you can not turn a AR15 rifle into a AR15 pistol.

Interesting...would anyone know? My dad has TC contenders that he swaps back and forth between rifle and pistol. Is that breaking the law? If you can legally own a pistol does it matter?

Interesting...would anyone know? My dad has TC contenders that he swaps back and forth between rifle and pistol. Is that breaking the law? If you can legally own a pistol does it matter?
Big no-no. No one has ever charged the BATF with having common sense, but that doesn't make the laws any less the law.

I would tell him to stop. And I would delete this post. You can't go both ways only pistol to rifle and once that is done you cant go back. If he's putting the rifle lower on a pistol upper that's an SBR and a federal offense

To the OP.
You can do a lot with 1000. I would go budget on the first one to see if it's even something you will shoot regularly. If it's just for the occasional plinking there are a few on here for under 500 that I would buy in a heartbeat. If your going to be running it a lot you'll want something a little nicer. Or buy one off of here and buy a nice drop in trigger. The biggest thing is what you'll be doing with it. I bought a plinker for over 1000 during the scare and hate seeing them as cheap as they are at the moment.

I would tell him to stop. And I would delete this post. You can't go both ways only pistol to rifle and once that is done you cant go back. If he's putting the rifle lower on a pistol upper that's an SBR and a federal offense

Even with TC contenders? My dad doesn’t have an AR. I didn’t even know that was a law. I didn’t recommend the AR pistol post. That was someone else.

Even with TC contenders? My dad doesn’t have an AR. I didn’t even know that was a law. I didn’t recommend the AR pistol post. That was someone else.
Now that we are completely off subject, as far as black guns once it’s a rifle you can’t go back to pistol without a bunch of stupid paperwork but as far as your dads TC’s goes he should be(not 100% sure) fine as long as he uses all rifle length barrel and stock and not a pistol barrel with rifle stock. You might want to make sure though. The law of funny about that stuff.

I'm pretty sure if he's attaching a short barrel to a butt stock that's an SBR regardless of manufacture. If hes swapping out a rifle barrel for another rifle barrel he's fine I.E. caliber change or longer barrel change. It's about the barrel length more than the manufacturer

Now that we are completely off subject, as far as black guns once it’s a rifle you can’t go back to pistol without a bunch of stupid paperwork but as far as your dads TC’s goes he should be(not 100% sure) fine as long as he uses all rifle length barrel and stock and not a pistol barrel with rifle stock. You might want to make sure though. The law of funny about that stuff.

Yeah familiar with the SBR laws. We don’t do that. Didn’t realize a receiver that can be a pistol and a rifle can only be classified as either or. Seems silly. Only reason why I brought it up is bc someone recommended an AR pistol. I wouldn’t do a pistol for my first AR personally.

Back
Top Bottom