• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

No ordinary crash

OMG

fact-hastings died in a car crash

fact-people on the internet are not an end all authority on engineering and physics (yes this applies to the WTC7 building debate as well)

fact-michael hastings was not important enough to have killed

The only part that's total BS is the ability to control the car remotely by hacking into it. You can do a lot with the CanBus and Multiplex systems in today's cars but that is simply SiFi. As for the rest, it was probably a hit by someone who didn't want some facts to get out.

Even those with electronic steering?
Funny, the Fusions I work on (bout the only thing I see regularly with e-steering), you can steer the wheel with the scanner (after front end work, has to be recalibrated). And since you can obviously control DBW throttle systems VIA scanner too, logic would dictate that a car is at least moderately controllable VIA onboard ECM. I'd imagine since this was a new model Benz, that it's using all the latest toys, and it DEFINITELY uses the up-link (pretty sure MB has realtime updates for their cars). Even onstar can shut down or start an engine, and it's ages old.

how fancy is the mechanical disconnect in an auto MB shifter? There isn't one.

So you can't turn it off, take it out of gear or close the throttle- and since we all know brakes do squat for a moving vehicle under full throttle, I'd say it's possible.

I haven't seen many catch fire in a collision, usually after the fact, and 99% of the time starts underhood and moves toward fuel tank area. High end luxury cars have LOTS of Safety tech R&D on their side. I doubt you'll see another "MB hits tree" fireball any other time :p

Conjecture of course.

Back
Top Bottom