• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

POF-5 vs. AA 89K MP5 Clones - A Novice Review

ClassicCityFirearms

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
513   0
Reaction score
Let me first start this off by saying this is the first time I have ever held, touched, or shot a MP5 style pistol. My knowledge of the fit, function, operation, or general comparison to the original HK model is nonexistent. This is solely my out of the box opinion on the comparison between these two new production models.

Yesterday member HAYWOOD and I had a chance to go to the range with the new POF-5 (referenced as “POF” below) MP5 clone manufactured by Pakistan Ordnance Factories (seen below on left) and a AA 89K (referenced as “K” below) MP5 clone manufactured by Atlantic Firearms(seen below on right). My first impressions are to follow.

POF-5

The POF comes in a nice retail box containing the firearm inside a plastic bag, 1 magazine, and a manual. I was well aware from reading reviews and from speaking with the distributor that the finish on the POF was rough. The firearm comes covered in a oil/grease mixture that smells like kerosene. At first I was surprised at how much better the finish looked over what I expected but once the oil was removed the true finish was revealed. While not horrible or beat up there are areas with some scratches, scuffs, and finish imperfections. I compare the finish of the firearm to one that has seen 3-4 nice range trips. If you plan this firearm to be a show piece it may be worth a trip to a
Dobbs Defense to have it refinished properly.

The magazine has some wobble which concerned me at first but proved to be irrelevant.

The sights are great and the rear diopter sight spins freely and locks into position good.

The barrel is factory threaded 1/2x28 and comes with a three lug mount. To me this is great as I don’t have to rush out and try to find an additional mount to use with a suppressor as I already have a fixed mount.

The grip on this model should be able to be changed out to something else if the owner doesn’t like the stock one. The POF uses a metal lower instead of the typical plastic so while most HK parts should fit I have read that minor tweaking may be needed on some items.While I did not find the stock grip to be problematic or uncomfortable some may like the idea of being able to change it out.

AA-89K

The K comes in a nice bulldog soft carrying case containing the firearm, 1 magazine, and a paper and cd manual. The finish on this firearm is very good with only a few areas of what appears to be little over spray/paint pooling. Overall extremely satisfied and pleased with the finish.

The magazine fits fairly tight with little mag wobble.

The sights are great and the rear diopter sight spins freely and locks into position good.

The barrel only comes with a three lug mount. If you plan to shoot with a suppressor you will need to pick up a three lug mount. I would have loved to have a direct thread option like the POF but that’s mainly because I don’t want to buy another mount.

The grip on this model is built into the lower receiver. While I liked the grip if you do not it may require a upgraded trigger housing.

RANGE

We used 5 different types of ammo to insure each pistol would run smoothly with a variety of different ammo. 60 rounds of each of the following ammo were shot through each pistol.

Tula 115 grain FMJ RN Steel Case

PPU 158grain FMJ RN Brass Case

Magtech Sub 147 grain FMC-Flat Brass Case

American Eagle Suppressor 124 grain FMJ Brass Case

Sellier & Belliot 115 grain FMJ Brass Case

We ran 1 magazine of each of the above ammo through each gun in the order listed above and then repeated again. When it was all said and done each firearm received a helping of 300 rounds.

We shot both pistols at 30 and 60 feet at 6” targets and both pistols were equally as accurate in my opinion.

ISSUES

Around round 240 the K had a failure to eject. The case became extremely lodged in between the bolt and the upper receiver. Charging the firearm did not dis lodge the shell and we needed a cleaning rod to pop it loose (pictured below). 2 rounds later we had a similar problem but were able to clear it by pulling the charging handle. Both issues were in the same magazine loaded with Magtech Sub 147 grain FMC-Flat Brass Case. This was the second mag run with this brand and no issues arisen during the first mag run.

Around round 270 the POF had a failure to feed with a brand new mag inserted. Dropped magazine, reinserted, charged, and problem duplicated. Removed top round, reinserted, charged, and no further issues. Magazine was loaded with Sellier & Belliot 115 grain FMJ Brass Case. This was the second mag run with this brand and no issues arisen during the first mag run.

SUPPRESSED

The POF functioned flawlessly with both the Magtech Sub 147 grain FMC-Flat Brass Case and the American Eagle Suppressor 124 grain FMJ Brass Case. We used a Octane 9 HD suppressor and were both impressed. Do be advised that this host provides a good amount of action noise.

Sadly we were unable to test the K model suppressed due to the lack of an Octane 3 lug adapter. :(

OVERALL

Very pleased with both models. I was more interested in function then cosmetics and both models proved to be a blast to shoot.
I really expected these to have much more felt recoil then they did. I was very pleased at how easy and comfortable they were to shoot. I do think the K model had a tad bit more felt recoil to it but I could be mistaken. Both models were extremely easy to shoot 2 handed in the up arms bent position using the sights. While the firearm functioned great in the up arms out position my accuracy went to crap. Im sure this can be fixed with some practice and additional range time. We did not test function from the hip but I see no reason it would not operate perfectly.

The magazines that were included worked great as well as some nice POF magazines purchased from an online vendor for an exceptionally good price. I was a tad disappointed that such a nice pistol did not have a BHO on last round feature but I have been informed that this is typical.

Was really hoping one of the lowers would have the iconic red bullet pictogram for the safe/fire settings but I knew neither would when purchasing.

The K model retails for around $1800 and the POF around $1450. We should hopefully have a few units in the pipeline coming our way but we have no firm ETA at the moment.

In the meantime if you’re interested in picking one up try fellow dealer Quiet Riot Firearms who I believe may have some coming in much sooner than us or I believe Atlantic Firearms may be accepting notification requests as well. In all honesty I think both firearms are great and I think that the deciding factor between the two is really just the buyers prefered style and the price that the buyer feels comfortable with.

I saw the AA 89K on Atlanta Arms site and thought that it would make a nice SBR. I'd like a follow up review a little later to see how the gun is holding up.

Great write-up! Thanks. I am pretty excited to fondle and purchase one. Are the braces available yet? Price?

Thanks for the write up!

Now let's see... $1400 plus tax is about $1500. My favorite Chinese lunch meal with water is $5.99 tax included. At Chinese twice a week, that means no Chinese food for 125 weeks. Going to have to find another way to pay for it :) But I can do that.

Im so torn between the AA k model and the POF. I really like the price of the POF and that it is threaded and 3 lug, but I like the look of the K and the plastic lower(granted I'd rather have a plastic lower with pictogram).

If I buy the K I'm going to have to buy a 3 lug mount for my Octane, and I'll probably have it threaded for my other cans that don;t have 3 lug options, AND I'll probably end up buying a pictogram lower which brings me up to the same cost as the Getz model around $2k. And then I'd SBR it, buy a folding stock, and get the K grip. It would be one expensive puppy.

The POF on the other hand would go mostly unchanged except for SBR stamp, stock, and cerakote job.

One is a pricey gun that I can customize to my dream mp5, the other is still a great mp5. Tough decisions.

If I got

Im so torn between the AA k model and the POF. I really like the price of the POF and that it is threaded and 3 lug, but I like the look of the K and the plastic lower(granted I'd rather have a plastic lower with pictogram).

If I buy the K I'm going to have to buy a 3 lug mount for my Octane, and I'll probably have it threaded for my other cans that don;t have 3 lug options, AND I'll probably end up buying a pictogram lower which brings me up to the same cost as the Getz model around $2k. And then I'd SBR it, buy a folding stock, and get the K grip. It would be one expensive puppy.

The POF on the other hand would go mostly unchanged except for SBR stamp, stock, and cerakote job.

One is a pricey gun that I can customize to my dream mp5, the other is still a great mp5. Tough decisions.

If I got

Very nice toys. I'm prob gonna go with the Getz. They said it would not be in stock till July.

Back
Top Bottom