• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA done gone and done it... PSAK-47 GEN3 w/forged trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier

How can we (Americans) not make a good AK? It’s just a bunch of slop, slapped together. How do we screw that up? I blame millennials.
the soviets could use slave labor that was trained to pump out ak47 24 hours a day with basic function in mind, the american companies get hung up on all kinds of unnecessary fine-itys

How can we (Americans) not make a good AK? It’s just a bunch of slop, slapped together. How do we screw that up? I blame millennials.
How many AKs have you built? Folded receiver, welded it, heat treated rails? It is not an AR that can be slapped together by 2 year old. AKs need brains.

How many AKs have you built? Folded receiver, welded it, heat treated rails? It is not an AR that can be slapped together by 2 year old. AKs need brains.

None, that’s why I asked. I really like aks, a lot, but their tolerances are sloppy.

On a serious note (my last post was less than serious, sorry about that) with our manufacturing techniques, capital, and love of guns we would have the AK figured out.

None, that’s why I asked. I really like aks, a lot, but their tolerances are sloppy.

On a serious note (my last post was less than serious, sorry about that) with our manufacturing techniques, capital, and love of guns we would have the AK figured out.
We lack the Soviet resolve to make such a weapon.
Magic weapons produced by magic people.

Looser tolerances are part of the design, but even that varies. I have AKs from milled Bulgarian to stamped Romanian, and there is a difference in how loose they are.
US manufacture is geared to automation, assembly line manufacturing. It takes a craftsman to build a good AK, to make sure that rivets are crushed right, gas block set straight.
Also we do not neccessarily have the same steel as used in AK front trunnion and bolt, arguably the most important parts of the rifle. If they are done right, building the rest of AK is easier.

We lack the Soviet resolve to make such a weapon.
Magic weapons produced by magic people.
I wouldn’t say we lack the resolve but weapons built in a time of war and worry for the purposes of protecting your home tend to be better than weapons casually built for profit.

Also, the originals tend to always be better than copies: hence why Colt has long been the go to for ARs and only in the past few years are there viable other brands.

I wouldn’t say we lack the resolve but weapons built in a time of war and worry for the purposes of protecting your home tend to be better than weapons casually built for profit.

Also, the originals tend to always be better than copies: hence why Colt has long been the go to for ARs and only in the past few years are there viable other brands.
Prewar Mausers and rifles built for commercial export are a hell of a lot nicer than wartime models where tons of shortcuts were taken to preserve resources and increase production numbers because of an incoming invasion.

I'd say we lack large scale government subsidization of military production infrastructure and slave labor to keep the gears turning.

What slave labor built AKs? I see it thrown around when talked about AKs, but it is not true, at least not in post WW2 USSR.
Soviet Union had low paid labor, compared to the West, but in USSR job at the arsenals, building rifles, tanks, airplanes, etc were always in demand.They were better paid than average, usually had a company store that sold items not available to the general public, free cafeterias, some had daycare centers, etc.

In WW2 political prisoners (engineers) were used in design bureaus, but criminal prisoners and non-technical political prisoners were sent to mines and timber harvesting camps. My grandfather spent 8 years in Kolyima during WW2 (he wrote a few unflattering words about Stalin in a letter to his friend); 5 original sentence, 3 added on after he escaped and got caught . He was a newspaper editor and journalist prior to that, and commanded a torpedo boat in the Baltic during WW1.

Back
Top Bottom