• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA done gone and done it... PSAK-47 GEN3 w/forged trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier

Prewar Mausers and rifles built for commercial export are a hell of a lot nicer than wartime models where tons of shortcuts were taken to preserve resources and increase production numbers because of an incoming invasion.

I'd say we lack large scale government subsidization of military production infrastructure and slave labor to keep the gears turning.
I can see what you mean. But even wartime Mausers (I own one) are still high quality weapons that are still perfectly usable a century later.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said wartime production and instead just said older production. People put more of themselves into their work back then and it shows in the things they were able to create from so little. The AK is a good example of that. Same could be said of Mausers, Garands, etc.

I can see what you mean. But even wartime Mausers (I own one) are still high quality weapons that are still perfectly usable a century later.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said wartime production and instead just said older production. People put more of themselves into their work back then and it shows in the things they were able to create from so little. The AK is a good example of that. Same could be said of Mausers, Garands, etc.
"They don't make them like they used to."

Folks wouldn't say it if it didn't have some truth to it.

How can we (Americans) not make a good AK? It’s just a bunch of slop, slapped together. How do we screw that up? I blame millennials.
The AK was designed and optimized for production on a massive scale in large specialized factories. Investment and fixed cost was fairly high but amortized over millions of rifles produced, per unit cost was very affordable.

American companies simply don't have the scale because there is no sufficient demand to justify a large tooling investment and, as a result, oftentimes have to cut corners. This is why it's hard to build an AK-pattern rifle that is both inexpensive and good.

The AK was designed and optimized for production on a massive scale in large specialized factories. Investment and fixed cost was fairly high but amortized over millions of rifles produced, per unit cost was very affordable.

American companies simply don't have the scale because there is no sufficient demand to justify a large tooling investment and, as a result, oftentimes have to cut corners. This is why it's hard to build an AK-pattern rifle that is both inexpensive and good.

Well said.

on side note: employees are not working for a potato and cabbage with chunk of bread for dinner.

Motivation is down.

It's probably a manufacturing culture issue.
So Sequioas and Land cruisers are super close to the same SUV, just a few differences.
When Toyota built the Sequioa plant here in the US, they brought in the same machines and sourced the materials from the same vendors as their LandCruiser line and the finished goods are nothing alike: sequoios give off a cheap feeling, landcruisers a luxory one. Sequios tend to look like **** after a few years and the Landcruiser still feels new. What's the difference? The people at the plants.

on side note: employees are not working for a potato and cabbage with chunk of bread for dinner.

Motivation is down.
I hope you're not talking about american worker motivation lacking compared to their soviet peers. Remember the old They pretend to pay us, we pretend to work joke. More truth than joke in that one.

It's probably a manufacturing culture issue.
So Sequioas and Land cruisers are super close to the same SUV, just a few differences.
When Toyota built the Sequioa plant here in the US, they brought in the same machines and sourced the materials from the same vendors as their LandCruiser line and the finished goods are nothing alike: sequoios give off a cheap feeling, landcruisers a luxory one. Sequios tend to look like **** after a few years and the Landcruiser still feels new. What's the difference? The people at the plants.
Wait, so it has nothing to do with $25,000 price difference and the two being totally different trucks built on different platforms?

Back
Top Bottom