• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for you wheel gun guys.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the barrel on a revolver?

I just picked up a Tarsus Tracker in 44 mag with a 4 inch barrel. I like it because it's light weight and with a five round cylinder it's about the same size a 357. It fits perfectly in a 357 holster. I am going to use it as a "Just in case" hunting pistol. I'd like to take a deer or a hog with a handgun, but most of the time I'll have my rifle with me. This pistol will be with me just in case one gets really close.

The issue I have with it is that it turns out the barrel is actually only about 2 inches long. The other two is a larger than bore diameter sleeve that supports a muzzle break built into the weapon. I would very much like to replace the barrel with a true 4 incher.

You have to either have a gun Smith do it or send it back to tarus. When a new barrel is threaded in it was to be relieved at the frame to get the right amount of torque with the front sight top dead center.

You have to either have a gun Smith do it or send it back to tarus. When a new barrel is threaded in it was to be relieved at the frame to get the right amount of torque with the front sight top dead center.
No worries about sending it to a gunsmith. I know better than to try something like this myself. LOL!

Any recommendations in the metro area for a smith?

From what I've read, the factory is your best choice as this really requires high-skill and experience.
With Taurus, the time to get it done could be quite long.

IMHO, Perhaps a better option would be to live with what you have ... personally, I am not the greatest pistoleer around, but "Minute of Softball" accuracy should be good enough for up to 30 feet and that is certainly achievable with a 4 inch line of sight! Either that or trade it for a 6" Tracker.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Bobs custom guns in Palmetto is the only person i would let touch mine. Cost wise it might be better to sell what you have and then buy something else. I have Magnum Research changing a barrel on a bfr right now cost 280 bucks. That includes shipping both ways labor and the new barrel. You could sell what you have now put that 280 with it and probably pick you up a Ruger Blackhawk, or maybe even a redhawk on here.

20180323_134333.jpg

Ruger rebuilt this twice for free and the 3rd time cost 340. For new barrel, cylinder and shipping. You can put between 12k and 15k hot rounds be you ware out tbe forcing cone

Get a Dan Wesson 15-2 or 715 and put what ever barrel you want on it. They come from factory with ability to take the gun completely apart including barrel/shroud with very little effort for cleaning. You just reset the cylinder gap each time and keep on shooting. Changing to a different barrel length, or front sight is just a couple of minutes time. I really like both of mine for this feature.

I like the big revolves, but not for what I want this one for. I like that small frame and five shot cylinder.

Accuracy isn't really an issue. I can put them all into a hand sized group and 25 with what I have and that's as far as I'd take a shot with this pistol. I just don't like giving up the velocity, but that's probably splitting hairs.

Back
Top Bottom