• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolvers

I sold these two recently...

I just hope it was worth it cause I will probably never be able to replace them.

Top is a Forehand & Wadsworth Old Army

Bottom is a Colt of London 1862 Navy

0907190651_HDR-1.jpg

Revolvers tend to be more reliable, they come in more powerful calibers on average, they are accurate, less mechanics to fiddle with...

But they hold less rounds are slower to reload and aren't nearly as tactiCOOL. Hence why many people don't like them. Some folks "don't feel safe" leaving their house without at least a 9mm with a 17 round mag and 2 spare mags in a pouch, etc... Because of all those prolonged shootouts with multiple gang members all hopped on on crack.... Because that happens every day.

Carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot well, and that will get the job done.

I have both style of carry guns, but the one I carry the most is a 5 shot .357 Magnum with a 6 round speed strip in my pocket. The chances of me needing any gun in my lifetime, are statistically very low. The chances of 5 rounds of .357 Mag not stopping my attacker, even slimmer...

We tend to overthink this stuff and always plan for Armageddon or zombie apocalypse, and that really doesn't make a lot of sense, if you are honest with yourself...

Revolvers tend to be more reliable, they come in more powerful calibers on average, they are accurate, less mechanics to fiddle with...

But they hold less rounds are slower to reload and aren't nearly as tactiCOOL. Hence why many people don't like them. Some folks "don't feel safe" leaving their house without at least a 9mm with a 17 round mag and 2 spare mags in a pouch, etc... Because of all those prolonged shootouts with multiple gang members all hopped on on crack.... Because that happens every day.

Carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot well, and that will get the job done.

I have both style of carry guns, but the one I carry the most is a 5 shot .357 Magnum with a 6 round speed strip in my pocket. The chances of me needing any gun in my lifetime, are statistically very low. The chances of 5 rounds of .357 Mag not stopping my attacker, even slimmer...

We tend to overthink this stuff and always plan for Armageddon or zombie apocalypse, and that really doesn't make a lot of sense, if you are honest with yourself...

Ahhhh.....how I missed that snarkiness and tactical wisdom........

To me, by far the most serious drawback of a modern double action revolver in the SELF-DEFENSE ROLE is the weight of the D.A. trigger pull.
Especially in small frame guns that are meant for concealed carry, not full-size duty pistols or race guns or match guns.

If Glocks generally had 9-12 lb. trigger pulls with the same long range of movement, and long reset, THEY would never have gotten as popular as they have.

To me, by far the most serious drawback of a modern double action revolver in the SELF-DEFENSE ROLE is the weight of the D.A. trigger pull.
Especially in small frame guns that are meant for concealed carry, not full-size duty pistols or race guns or match guns.

If Glocks generally had 9-12 lb. trigger pulls with the same long range of movement, and long reset, THEY would never have gotten as popular as they have.

Good stuff.

Revolvers aren’t simpler to operate than a semi-auto, they’re different. I like them both, I carry both, but you gotta know the pros and cons of your gun........the cons more than the pros. Your training should concentrate on the cons more than the pros.

It’s no secret I’m a 1911 fan, and I’ve always said that the only reason the 1911 is still popular is because it has the best overall trigger in the business.

A few of the revolvers that I carry.

My favorite, a 3” S&W M-13 .357 Magnum
E2F03659-3501-426B-983C-5C6B3BE87245.jpeg

4” S&W M-28 “Highway Patrolman” .357 Magnum
9DB2E403-8729-4959-90D0-E546A033C91A.jpeg

S&W 442 .38Spl. I’ve owned this gun since 1996, it was my BUG during my street cop days. Nowadays it’s what I refer to as my “vacation gun”.
71B31181-F723-4C0F-86F3-0531F5326568.jpeg

Attachments

• FA08241E-F4AE-499A-8DCA-263790C57012.jpeg
    FA08241E-F4AE-499A-8DCA-263790C57012.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
Revolvers aren’t simpler to operate than a semi-auto, they’re different.
cms,
You've said this a couple times and I'm curious how you define 'simple'.
With a revolver, after loaded (I'm going to assume everyone carries loaded), the steps are.
1. Pull the trigger.

Depending on the semi,
1.You may or may not have one in the chamber, so rack slide.
2. You may or may not have a safety, find it disengage.
3. You may or may not have a decocker, don't accidentally hit it.
4. You may or may not have a grip safety (make sure you're holding that thing).
5. When attempting to do any of the above for Pete's sake do not hit the mag release!

I agree, they are 'different' (obviously) and each has their pros and cons which vary with the user and the related experience/training, but how can you say a revolver is not objectively simpler to operate than a semi? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom