• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger precision rifle - Do I really want one?

Bottom rail was the oneThat TFS made. When Bryan done the work on the rifle, he coated one of his after some R&D and installed it for the pictures. I kept the factory rail in it, but thinking I'll change it out eventually with a Seekins.

How much money you ready to spend?

You could swap out the RPR barrel for a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel. Will run you about $850 and would save you about 2 lbs.

Could also build from the ground up with weight in mind.

Building a 7lb precision rifle is doable, but pricey. Standard barrel contours used, if using steel, weigh 5 plus lbs in and of themselves, leaving you only 2 lbs for stock/chassis, action, bolt, etc, etc, etc.
You can get Precision Valley arms to spin you up a pre fit barrel in the Marksman contour or light palma.

How much money you ready to spend?

You could swap out the RPR barrel for a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel. Will run you about $850 and would save you about 2 lbs.

Could also build from the ground up with weight in mind.

Building a 7lb precision rifle is doable, but pricey. Standard barrel contours used, if using steel, weigh 5 plus lbs in and of themselves, leaving you only 2 lbs for stock/chassis, action, bolt, etc, etc, etc.

My factory Ruger 20" 308 steel barrel weighs only 3.175 Lbs. Even many 24" 308 barrels only weigh around 4.5 Lbs give or take unless you get a bull barrel contour.

The Mossberg MVP FLEX in 308 weighs just 7.5 Lbs and has a detachable stock (I know he noted wanting a folding stock). Those are not very expensive either.

My factory Ruger 20" 308 steel barrel weighs only 3.175 Lbs. Even many 24" 308 barrels only weigh around 4.5 Lbs give or take unless you get a bull barrel contour.

The Mossberg MVP FLEX in 308 weighs just 7.5 Lbs and has a detachable stock (I know he noted wanting a folding stock). Those are not very expensive either.

I never weighed my barrel, but it a 6.5 and 4 inches longer than the RPR with a 308 barrel. 4.5 is probably on the lower end of that weight, probably pushing 4.75. Still, a PR barrel will be right around 3 lbs, Saving 1.5 lbs or so.

If the plan is, and I don't know, for a rifle to contend in PRS or the similar which is why I assume since commenting about the RPR/Stealth which are designed for these types of competitions, heavier profile barrels are what is used, generally medium palma and up. Hell, most run heavy palma or Remington varmint. Marksman contour is no different - its heavy. Yeah, you can cut em down to save some weight, but only so much, but you need the heavier profiles to run strings of shots. Going with lighter profiles like the MVP, will open up halfway through a stage when the heat up. If the goal is simply to get a bolt action weight down and have a folding stock, that's easy, go with a lighter profile barrel. Trying to keep up with the requirements for a PRS match is where it get's difficult, i.e. expensive.

I took off work tomorrow to get typical weekend crap done so I have a day for just shooting. Plan to get 200 plus yard targets built and set up. Also have a few new additions to my collection that need some attention

Back
Top Bottom