• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scoping a at with A2 front sight.

The only reason I would cut one down would be because I was putting a longer rail on it.
I also prefer an FSB but to say shaving one down is a "no no" is crap.
An AR 'builder' that can't see a reason to ever cut down a factory FSB doesn't know what he's talking about.
But as long as he can't see light between his uppers & lowers he'll be an expert in his own mind.

Edit to add : and as long as he has plenty of buffer spring grease.
I believe there is a right way and a wrong way for my modifications (emphases on mine ). You have done a lot of reading to find that post about tolerances between uppers and lowers and and you are damn right, I do like tight tolerances for my builds. When I build a gun I want it to be the best gun I can build. Paying close attention to details says there is no shame in my game. If you don't mind cutting the sight post down then more power to ya. I am just saying I would buy a 20 dollar gas block with a rail on top, dimple the rear set screw and do it professionally. Knowing what you are doing with build and repairing AR 15's has nothing to do with a hacksaw. Now if the the owner modifying the front sight post cut it down and used a dremel tool or even a file and rounded of the edges and hit it with a little black paint then all would be good. For me cutting down the post and wrapping it in black tap is not the answer. A 9 dollar riser would have made all that nonsense unnecessary to begin with. Changing the gas block or using a 1/2 to 1 inch riser is knowing about AR's. There is always a part that will do the job right and knowing those parts and using those parts is the difference between knowing the AR platform and inpatients or all out ignorance. I am sorry for going there but don't attack me for wanting to do something the right way. It's your gun and you can do anything you want to with it I don't care I just don't see that as being the right modification for the end result.

I believe there is a right way and a wrong way for my modifications (emphases on mine ). You have done a lot of reading to find that post about tolerances between uppers and lowers and and you are damn right, I do like tight tolerances for my builds. When I build a gun I want it to be the best gun I can build. Paying close attention to details says there is no shame in my game. If you don't mind cutting the sight post down then more power to ya. I am just saying I would buy a 20 dollar gas block with a rail on top, dimple the rear set screw and do it professionally. Knowing what you are doing with build and repairing AR 15's has nothing to do with a hacksaw. Now if the the owner modifying the front sight post cut it down and used a dremel tool or even a file and rounded of the edges and hit it with a little black paint then all would be good. For me cutting down the post and wrapping it in black tap is not the answer. A 9 dollar riser would have made all that nonsense unnecessary to begin with. Changing the gas block or using a 1/2 to 1 inch riser is knowing about AR's. There is always a part that will do the job right and knowing those parts and using those parts is the difference between knowing the AR platform and inpatients or all out ignorance. I am sorry for going there but don't attack me for wanting to do something the right way. It's your gun and you can do anything you want to with it I don't care I just don't see that as being the right modification for the end result.
I apologize to the OP for adding to the thread derailment but...I'm not attacking you Vess, I figure that 50% of the info you give on ARs is correct & factual, but that means 50% is not.
Anyone can claim to be an 'AR builder' because honestly it's not rocket science, but just because you own 'every tool in the catalog', (I didn't even know there was a catalog) doesn't make you an expert.

From time to time I might forget a fact or misstate a history fact but I pride my self on my builds. Some of the stuff I do with my guns some builders don't care about. IE, tolerances, grease in the tube to quite the spring, play at the front take down lug and on and on. These are preferences and not absolutes however, they do make for a more enjoyable shooting experience IMHO. I work on all my guns whether it be a 1911, a revolver or bolt action gun. I also repair the occasional AK47 for friends. I just believe when I make a modification I wouldn't be able to get away with that if I were repairing a gun for a friend. You are right AR's are like Lego's. The can only go together on way. It's that one way and using the proper parts in which I pride myself on and most of these small mods cost next to nothing to accomplish correctly. A lot of the way I build comes from my engine building days. If it moves it wears so lube it. Tolerances of the parts comes from having to manipulate engine bearings to get a close average tolerance. Sometimes I get over zealous and forget that is not my gun and I have no business critiquing someone else's methods in the first place.

Dang I thought the daylight between my upper and lower was to help with cooling.
In that fine sand over in Iraq that could be a problem. We don't have to deal with it but it just might cause a problem over there. Every one of those shows I see about the forces over there, every time the sit down to take a break they start cleaning their guns.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a nice snug rifle fit. Would you want a 1,800 Daniel Defense to sound like a box of lego's when you shake it. Or having the doors and hood loose with big gaps on a 80,000 Corvette. I should say not. Why not have a nice close fit with your gun. I am not the one to pic a gun up and have every thing loose on it and say ah what the hell it's just a 1,000 dollar rifle, it's suppose to be loose. I won't have it!!!

14949C89-9D7F-4B36-B1D5-12895D96082E.jpeg
I changed mine up. Wanted smaller glass. 1-4x24mm. I can see the sight for sure unless it’s in 4x.

Back
Top Bottom