• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Dogs.....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Here is a copy of a post from "that other forum." I found it pretty heartbreaking:

Cobb County's finest
I don't even know where to start with this, but I feel compelled to expose the events of 9/16 as told to me by my 25 year hunting partner and friend.

He and I had hunted B.F Grant WMA this week and left for home yesterday. He had a great week/weekend. Heck we all did, but his was just a little sweeter. He had seen a lot of deer, took two does and was in camp with 3 other 25 year hunting partners and his two dogs.

One dog in particular, Luke, a 6 year old chocolate lab was his baby. His companion. This dog went with him everywhere he went. For the past 6 years he has been a fixture at the Cedar Creek and BF Grant hunts we have gone on as well as deer camps in clubs we belong to and we all loved him.

He in particular was trying to get home to Smyrna because he was about to be a Grandfather and he was trying to drop his dogs off, get changed, and get to the Hospital in Kennesaw to see his new Grandbaby when it arrived. The cherry on a perfect sundae, or so we thought.

Yesterday when we all got home my phone rang and it was my friend. He lives in Smyrna. He was crying uncontrollably. Apparently when he got home he forgot to turn the alarm off when he walked in so it went off. He called the alarm company and of course they required a password. He couldn't remember it so he went to look for the file all the while keeping an eye out for the Cobb County police who were on the way.

As he was in his office looking for the paperwork he heard luke start to bark. He got up to see if the police had arrived and there was no police car so he went back to looking for the paperwork.

After a few minutes, he heard Luke bark again at the back door and he called to him to come and then he heard two shots. Apparently the police officers had parked their car behind a privacy fence on the street and snuck around the corner of his house and entered his back screened in porch. Luke apparently went to the back door when the two cops entered and one of the cops pulled his sidearm and shot him before my friend could get to him.

According to my friend the police never announced their presence and never called out. They just opened the back screen door and shot Luke because he barked at them. They didn't mace the dog. They didn't taze the dog. They didn't back out and shut the screen door to the porch. They shot him.

My friend is distraught because his best friend is dead because of some trigger happy cop trying to play super cop. The cop never appologized as he laid over his companion sobbing. Never said two words to him. Just looked at him.

Way to go Cobb County. If this is the caliber of police officer you put on the force, you must be very proud. This didn't have to happen. There must be some "unwritten rule" that cops can shoot dogs if they "feel threatened", but the bottom line is that this cop had other options and he refused to take them.

How many people take a dog with them to a break in? Does Georgia Power have a right to shoot dogs if they feel threatened? Does the Mailman? Does any other service oriented organization have the right to shoot a dog if he "feels threatened"?

There should be some retribution. This cop should lose his job. I admit it. I'm a little emotional about this because I loved that dog too. He was doing what he was supposed to do (protect his home) and the cops were not doing what they were supposed to be doing because they didn't anounce their presence as they walked into his home. They handled this the wrong way and it appears nothing will be done about it.

There is a super cop problem in our police departments folks. This manifestation of it hit close to home this time.

*My question when I see something like this is: "Why the hell not just spray the dog?" I have been seeing more and more of these "shoot Fido dead" situations lately.

I have nothing against most all cops. Mostly, they are fine people just trying to do a hard job.... But WTF? Why do I seem to read so many of these stories lately? What the hell is wrong with someone who won't try the mace, but just starts blasting away? (Not to mention the hazard caused by bullets flying all around this guy's house.) I really think this cop needs to be fired. There is something wrong with any person who will opt to shoot a dog who is simply barking at him. Someone that crazy should not be a cop!

(And he was a freaking Lab! When do Labs ever bite anyone?)

Last edited:
Worked 30 years with bellsouth, went around houses and NEVER shot one dog. BTW, was unarmed as well. No need to shoot dog, a lot of cops are trigger happy and afraid of dogs, so they shoot. Who's going to do anything about it???? Some cops are good people, some are A--HOLES. Have met both.

The dog owner is a good friend of mine, blows my mind on how the cops are lying and trying to shut this case quick. That brand new grandfather truly has a broken heart. Luke was a one of a kind dog.

I saw this on the news too. Am I the only one starting to feel like maybe the police are getting a little out of control and trigger happy?

The officers involved should be investigated as if the dog were a human they shot. Im sure the dog was more of a family member than just another animal. They should lose their job for lying and using force when it didn't needed to be used.

Back
Top Bottom