• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So... who has lost a favorite watering hole due to new 'no guns' sign?

So many misconceptions... First off, carry in a bar is now officially legal, regardless of the bar owner's opinion. They can still eject you for ANY reason, so leave if asked. Drinking while carrying is also legal. Use a little thing called JUDGEMENT for this. This is a rare opportunity where personal judgement is "allowed", so make it count. Set your carry/drink limit beforehand. I like to enjoy a beer or two with my meals sometimes and still have sufficient wits about me. Your results may vary. Self defense while intoxicated is also legal. Discharging your firearm while intoxicated outside of self defense is a big no-no, don't do it! Not only legally, but also logically, it isn't smart.

I will let others speak to the LAW, but I wouldn't do it... It would be a bad day if you had to defend yourself and then speak to the police with alcohol on your breath.
Versus what? Dead and stinking of alcohol?

One bar where I have had lunch in newnan (corner tavern) had a shooting about two years ago. Some guy was messing with some dude's girlfriend so the dude put a couple 40 cal rounds in the guy and killed him. I just don't see that incident unfolding like that absent alcohol. When I was going to bars 20 years ago, that situation would be handled with a good old fashioned fist fight and beat down.

You got it mostly right. However, the incident started the night before the actual shooting at same bar. The shooter came back on the next night and shot the victim (term used loosely as he was a local gang banger). This was a case of murder and how the shooter was found innocent, I will never know.

Edited: since y'all all love sources: http://www.times-herald.com/local/20120303Tavern_MurderCharg-MOS

Blah blah. Your words are many but say nothing. As an attorney, I can assure you that a business is liable for its decisions. Get over it. Negligence and tort law has nothing to do with statutes unless you have a law that absolves a business from tort liability for a decision. If a bar decides to allow guns in possession of its drunk patrons, it or its insurance company will pay $$ for gun related violence. It is a reality of our current legal system. And if your attorneys are telling you different, then you should get a second opinion.

Yes. And you can thank an attorney for that very situation. You see...personal responsibility is not profitable. Suing a drunken idiot for damages is no where near as profitable as suing a business and their respective insurance company for the acts of an unrelated third party. This is why, the root of the gun control problem in the country is actually at the feet of lawyers. Personally, I despise the whole profession and the many offshoots from it. Law school is a breeding ground for maggots. They grow up into lawyers, judges and politicians. Not one of those groups EVER does anything to reduce the power of the breed or actually simplify what should be an obvious system. No job security if people can read, understand and obey a simple, clear cut set of laws. Nooo..the law has to be convoluted, overly verbose and obscure so that only a trained two-tongue can argue it successfully.

So many misconceptions... First off, carry in a bar is now officially legal, regardless of the bar owner's opinion. They can still eject you for ANY reason, so leave if asked. Drinking while carrying is also legal. Use a little thing called JUDGEMENT for this. This is a rare opportunity where personal judgement is "allowed", so make it count. Set your carry/drink limit beforehand. I like to enjoy a beer or two with my meals sometimes and still have sufficient wits about me. Your results may vary. Self defense while intoxicated is also legal. Discharging your firearm while intoxicated outside of self defense is a big no-no, don't do it! Not only legally, but also logically, it isn't smart.
Yes there is misconception... This particular post being one.The law specifically states that you can ONLY carry in a particular bar IF THE OWNER SPECIFICLY ALLOWS CARRY. So it would seem that the bar owners opinion does mean something after all.

Wow, did this go sideways fast!

First of all, I didn't mean to start a legal battle. While it may be legally OK to drink while carrying, that's not something I would be comfortable doing. I had actually always followed the 'rules' the no-guns sign laid down, and left my EDC in the car.

I was really more curious about if anyone had seen other signs like this pop-up since July 1st. There seems to be widespread confusion on how the new law works (driven by the media and the gun control groups I'm sure). The whole fact that's it's 'opt-in' seems lost on literally everyone. Everything I see implies wrongly that it's perfectly OK to carry in any bar you want to now.

Back
Top Bottom