• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So... who has lost a favorite watering hole due to new 'no guns' sign?

That I agree with. I eat at a few bars for lunch. That is where the good wings are! And I'm always armed too. But it's a tricky issue at night with the drinkers. All I'm saying is that I understand why some bars would be uneasy about guns.

One bar where I have had lunch in newnan (corner tavern) had a shooting about two years ago. Some guy was messing with some dude's girlfriend so the dude put a couple 40 cal rounds in the guy and killed him. I just don't see that incident unfolding like that absent alcohol. When I was going to bars 20 years ago, that situation would be handled with a good old fashioned fist fight and beat down.

Absolutely agree. Would be nice if you could agree with the owner not to drink while carrying and he would consider you an asset when you came in.

Well, for me it's real simple. I don't drink and drive. And if I'm not home, I drove there and will need to drive back. So if I'm in a place that serves alcohol, I'm there to eat. And, yes, I'm armed. If I can't be armed I'm not there. See how simple that is?

What he said.

I've been in restaurants that serve liquor but I haven't been in a bar so long I can't add to the discussion. Of course not adding something of value to a thread is kind of my hallmark...

Why do people on ODT always ask others to post case law. Hire an attorney and find it yourself. Legal research takes time and gets billed by the hour. There are countless of millions of cases in this country touching on virtually everything your mind can think of. Find it yourself or pay your attorney to do it.

And if your attorneys are telling you that a business owner has no potential liability for its choices under laws of negligence, then you really need a new lawyer. Ga law allows certain entities to decide if guns are allowed. So it is in fact the business owners decision, not an outside agency, if guns are allowed. And if you think for one second that a seasoned plaintiffs attorney is not gonna score a nice settlement from a bar if a drunk patron shoots another patron in what would have otherwise been a fist fight -- when that gun was allowed there based on a conscious and calculated decision by the bar owner to mix guns and drunks -- then you just don't understand our legal system.

I get the "don't trample on my rights" thing, but of all the businesses that I could understand banning weapons -- it's a bar.

If driving a car was a constitutional right, would you all be pissed at drunk driving laws too?

I did not ask him to quote case law, I questioned his knowledge of the subject he was addressing and gave him a chance to justify his statement. From your third sentence, first paragraph forward my only response has to be Bull ****. I won't go into details but you can rest assured nobody but nobody collects large settlements from businesses that hold liquor license. Spent some money on an attorney and he will tell you why. Remember I said collect not win. I was asking a question trying to get some info. but I see the only thing coming forward are rants from people who don't possess LLB's, have an understanding of Georgia statutes or fully comprehend jurisprudence. These facts are self evident by the post put on this thread by you and Mr. Ford. In closing have a nice 4th

I did not ask him to quote case law, I questioned his knowledge of the subject he was addressing and gave him a chance to justify his statement. From your third sentence, first paragraph forward my only response has to be Bull ****. I won't go into details but you can rest assured nobody but nobody collects large settlements from businesses that hold liquor license. Spent some money on an attorney and he will tell you why. Remember I said collect not win. I was asking a question trying to get some info. but I see the only thing coming forward are rants from people who don't possess LLB's, have an understanding of Georgia statutes or fully comprehend jurisprudence. These facts are self evident by the post put on this thread by you and Mr. Ford. In closing have a nice 4th
I know Ga statues pretty well and Jurisprudence means which court has the authority to hear that particular case.I suggest before we get all upset we do some basic research that does not come from YouTube.Here is the only authorized online Ga Code in its entirety. http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/I enjoy discussions, and this it exactly that. Not a personal disagreement.

Blah blah. Your words are many but say nothing. As an attorney, I can assure you that a business is liable for its decisions. Get over it. Negligence and tort law has nothing to do with statutes unless you have a law that absolves a business from tort liability for a decision. If a bar decides to allow guns in possession of its drunk patrons, it or its insurance company will pay $$ for gun related violence. It is a reality of our current legal system. And if your attorneys are telling you different, then you should get a second opinion.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!!

WhoTF is "Mr. Ford"?
Henry es no here

Blah blah. Your words are many but say nothing. As an attorney, I can assure you that a business is liable for its decisions. Get over it. Negligence and tort law has nothing to do with statutes unless you have a law that absolves a business from tort liability for a decision. If a bar decides to allow guns in possession of its drunk patrons, it or its insurance company will pay $$ for gun related violence. It is a reality of our current legal system. And if your attorneys are telling you different, then you should get a second opinion.

I do civil litigation all day every day and he is correct.

When I start to drink at home I always take my firearms and lock them in the safe...'cause, ya know, when you start to drink you give up your rights to defend yourself...

Back
Top Bottom