You never know when that old rifle will show up again

Bingo,i know of another department there evidence room looked like a flea market and all kind of weapons walked out of that place.it was a lil ole good old boy police dept up north Ga,them same good old boys will be on the otherside one day...GFBD.
Yep, it happens all the time. I had a cop tell me one time, "The only difference between us and the criminals is that we're better armed, more organized and have the law on our side".

SMFH

Out of all the guns stolen and recovered by the cops, how many people really get them back, 2% maybe.
Probably more than 2% but I'd bet the really nice guns "disappear" before they can be returned to the rightful owners.

My buddies brother got arrested with a pistol and after trial and sentencing they called my buddy and surrendered the weapon to him. It was a nickel S&W 4" 38 or .357 it was here in metro Atlanta area but can't remember which jurisdiction it was in. He sent me a text with it tags from the police and all haha I was like score!

As someone who has entered many background checks, they do NOT track the gun through NICS. I know, because the clerk doesn't enter the manufacturer or serial.

They start at the manufacturer and find out where it shipped, then they call the ffl and ask them where it went, then they call you and ask. That's what happened.

I'm sure someone else has already covered this, didn't read the whole thread.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thank you, I was not aware of that. I thought the 4473's were just filled out and held at the store.

They are. The ffl keeps them for 20 years per law. If the FFL goes out of business they are required to turn the files over to the atf. So there's a 20 year paper trail on every gun. It may be an incomplete trail if theres been a private sale or gifting involved.

But no, the federal gov. can't type my name in a big scary computer and get a list of every gun I own like on an episode of Criminal Minds.

They are. The ffl keeps them for 20 years per law. If the FFL goes out of business they are required to turn the files over to the atf. So there's a 20 year paper trail on every gun. It may be an incomplete trail if theres been a private sale or gifting involved.

But no, the federal gov. can't type my name in a big scary computer and get a list of every gun I own like on an episode of Criminal Minds.

Regarding your last sentence, shouldn't it read " ...can't YET type..."?
Remember when people said "There's no such thing as quiet black helicopters"?
Just a thought... Only kidding... Maybe

Thank you, I was not aware of that. I thought the 4473's were just filled out and held at the store. Learn something new every day. What about when you buy a used gun from a store? There is no way the manufacturer would know who has a pre World War II S&W pistol or is there a way?
They are held at the store, but it's a simple phone call to check. It's called investigating. Not really all that difficult.

Back
Top Bottom