• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else quicker without dot?

I think it's largely a training issue.

Couple years back I put a dot on a couple of my handguns and concentrated on practicing with those guns and got up to the same kind of speed and accuracy as irons. Then trained a bit more and got higher accuracy.

Then for some reason, I went back to irons for a while. Early days, I was shooting for ****, but again, improved back to about the same accuracy as I had before the red dots. I could never get quite back to the accuracy I'd developed with the red dots.

The only reason I think red dots win is that I could maintain 'good' accuracy out to 50 yards rather than to about 25-30. Speed-wise? About the same.

Irons were good nuff for Earp, Holiday, James and Palliden, so good nuff for me.
So we’re filthy prostitutes and ****tin’ in a ditch. Just because something is “good enough” doesn’t mean there aren’t better options.

It took me years on a dot. I’m fuddy but only 40. I love iron sights. Been shooting them for 30 years. So I realized it would take me years of practice with a dot. And not like shooting it at the range once a month. 20 mi utes a day for a year.

Now I’m faster with the dot, and more accurate at the same speeds. I carry a gun with a dot 95% of the time.

You should see an eye doctor to see if there’s something you could be doing differently, but dots are empirically better than iron sights.

So we’re filthy prostitutes and ****tin’ in a ditch. Just because something is “good enough” doesn’t mean there aren’t better options.

It took me years on a dot. I’m fuddy but only 40. I love iron sights. Been shooting them for 30 years. So I realized it would take me years of practice with a dot. And not like shooting it at the range once a month. 20 mi utes a day for a year.

Now I’m faster with the dot, and more accurate at the same speeds. I carry a gun with a dot 95% of the time.

You should see an eye doctor to see if there’s something you could be doing differently, but dots are empirically better than iron sights.
I saw the Dr. . Stigmatism in both. Can’t see far off when I where the prescription they give me. I would think that would affect either? Like I said, I want to use them and I put the time in. I’m hoping there’s an unbiased solution so I can use them more. Thanks

speak for yourself bud, 74 and proof you can't teach an old dog, new tricks, irons don't have batteries that die, get obscured by rain or spit, and will peel that carpet off, so, you do it your way Burger king, I'll do it mine.

I'm faster with irons (not fast - but faster!). But I know it's because I haven't committed to practicing with dots. My carry guns are on the smaller side and I really don't care for the looks of them. Fun at the range but I don't think I'll make the transition. (I do prefer them on my AR's)

I have to actively fight the urge to look for the dot over clear irons sight picture first sometimes. If I'm out there dot hunting, it takes longer to get on target at first. If I present like standard irons it settles the dot where I can see it in glass and then just kinda tighten in from there.

Back
Top Bottom