• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Deer Rifle for $400-$550

The .270 can have a flatter trajectory at longer distances and packs more punch, but it is more prone to bullet failure at short range. Like the .270, the /06 comes in a longer, heavier package. It has more power than necessary on both ends, and can be prone to bullet failure on tough shots at short range if you don't use a heavier-than-usual bullet. When you get into the heavier bullets, the /06 can have more recoil than most people like to deal with.

Any of the common deer cartridges will work just fine if you use a soft, medium to heavy for caliber bullet. There isn't any huge practical difference between them. The 7mm08 just happens to come in a shorter, lighter package that you will find easier to use effectively.

A 308win. caliber in a remington 700,ruger m77 or a winchester 70 are all great choices I would look for in a bolt action..

All 3 are very accurate rifles and the 308 ammo can be found pretty much anywhere ammo is sold ...

The recoil on a 308 is mild and the power is more than enough ;]

I got a new rifle last year. Been around rifles all my life and did a LOT of research. I wanted to get something not very expensive. Ended up with a Thompson Center Venture in .270. It has the much touted R5 rifling which seems to work. Topped it off with a Nikon scope. Very accurate rifle. Killed my first deer of the season Sunday afternoon with a one shot kill at 242 yards. Not a real long shot but very satisfying. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Is $400-$500 rifle and optics budget? or rifle only budget? Please do yourself a favor and don't skimp on the scope. I'll admit to being a Savageaholic and that's where my recommendation lies. You cant beat the out of the box accuracy or the value of a Savage 110 or Stevens 200 series rifle (same gun). If you get one with the package Simmons scope on it ,junk it ,and the mounts or sell em here and put the $25 or so twords a good one. This holds true for any manufacturers package guns. They are built to hit a price point and they really skimp on the optics and mounts. A better choice is a used rifle with a good scope and mounts.
I have Seen quite a few Savage/Stevens in suitable deer calibers on here for around $200- $300 which would leave you $200-$300 to find a decent scope. A used leupold Vari x2 would be a good choice or a vortex viper, a Bushnell elite 3200 should also fit in that price range. Something in a 3-9x40 if possible as it will give you a good field of view on low power or plenty of magnification if you need it.
As far as caliber goes deer beg to be shot with a .30 caliber so a .308 or 30-06 would be my choice but the .270 is a good choice too. These calibers will also let you shoot larger game if you choose like elk and moose.
I recently bought a 7-08 and can tell you that in my opinion the hype that surrounds this cartridge isn't worth a hill of beans. It kicks like a .308 and any ballistic advantage dosen't show up until very long ranges using heavy high ballistic coefficient bullets that need a fast twist to stabilize. Hold it up beside a .308 cartridge. Do you see any obvious difference? That's cause there aint none except the price sticker and availability of ammo. Stay with any of the mainstream deer cartridges and you'll be alright, you'll be able to kill any North American game species, find ammo at 5AM nearly anywhere, and the price will be right.
Good luck BHJ

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?14648-Savage-Model-11-.308&highlight=savage

PS the Marlin in the Buds ad is a Savage knockoff without the aftermarket parts available, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Last edited:
This gets into the category of personal preference, buts it fun to talk about. Besides, we can at least steer someone clear of doing something like shooting a deer with a 150gr bullet out of a .300 RUM, right? :p

Saying the Marlin is a Savage knock-off is like saying every bolt-action ever made is a knock-off of a Mauser. I am not sure the XS7 or 110 is an improvement over a 98, but I agree with those that find the Marlin an improvement on the Savage. That is why some are buying them instead. The biggest improvement with the Marlin is a stock that is actually made for use with a scope and directs recoil differently. The other improvement that comes to mind is the Marlin does not have that rear baffle floating around to hang up on the bolt handle slot.

In an 8 pound rifle the .308 with 165 grain bullet has ~18% more free recoil than a 7mm08 with 140grain. If we look at light-for-caliber bullets to reduce recoil, then the .308 with 150 grain has ~16% more free recoil than a 7mm08 with 130 grain. If you ignore other factors and just compare the usual ammo from ChinaMart, then the .308 still has ~8% more free recoil. Differences in stock design and shooters' perception may make 8% hard to see, but I would argue that double that or more will significantly impact the way you use a rifle.

that's interesting......

I've recently picked up a springfield gi 1911 which i've only put 35 rounds through...I'm thinking about putting it up on the trading blocks. Maybe get something good used with a good optic.

Back
Top Bottom