• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Deer Rifle for $400-$550

Come on Howl
I don't want to hijack this thread but the Marlin XL7 is a Savage knockoff from the Tubular reciever to the Barrel nut (a great innovation thats been around on Savage rifles since the 50s and allows for an easy perfect headspace.) To the 2 lug floating bolt head ( a thin "washer" behind the bolthead which allows a little movement allowing the locking lugs to seat perfectly in the receiver without lapping) with recessed face plunger type extraction. To the pro fire trigger (center blade user adjustable accutrigger knockoff.) Pillar bedded stock ( An innovation previously done by custom gunsmiths brought to the economy rifle marketplace by Savage after Ron Coburn took over)
I dont like the fact that the safety does not lock the bolt down on the Marlin when engaged like the Savage. It may come open when being slung and hiking leaving you with an empty chamber when you need it.
Other than lets see the reciever, the bolt, the barrel with a barrel nut, the trigger and the stock I wonder where anyone would get the idea the Marlin XL7 was a Savage 110 knockoff? It oughta be a pretty good economy rifle though. These are the reasons that Savage builds the best budget rifles.
All the other manufacturers could say while getting out shot by the 110 series Savage rifle which originally sported a $110 price tag was "it's ugly" . Nothing ugly about the number of sub MOA budget rifles they turn out. Unless of course you're the competition.

Espartis Don't spend unnecessarily ,Start with a Savage,Get good glass and mounts, Hit what you shoot at, Be Happy

Last edited:
To-may-to, to-mah-to. I'll give you the Accu-trigger. Marlin's isn't consistently as good in the creep department, either. The thing that is easy to miss here is that practically all of those features of the rifle do not relate to making a higher quality rifle design. Savage looked at the bolt-action and then applied common engineering concepts to produce a bolt-action rifle as cheaply as possible. The bolt head and barrel nut are just ways to side-step costs associated with fitting parts. Question, since you may know: Did Savage offer the Tupperware stocks before they offered pillar bedding? I'm just thinking they applied the pillars so they could save money by making cheaper stocks. Anyhow, Savage did not invent these things, they just applied them to a rifle. That'd make the 110 an epic knock-off. Or, if cost were your sole criterion, an epic improvement. I am not going that far.

Walmart sells the Savage Edge for around $265! I picked one up, added EGW scope base, Millet rings and a Burris 3x9x40 BP! That thing will drive tacks! Smooth design on the gun very light rifle, has detach magazine and shoulders well. Whole package I have around $390 in it!

I applaud the advice concerning fit and practice. Comparing to a marital relationship may go a little too far with it though? A dysfunctional relatioship with a rifle will cost you far less to get out of than any bad marriage. I'm assuming that you may or may not stay with deer hunting. If you have someone you trust to help you find a good clean used rifle, that's where I'd start. Time probably isn't on your side for searching for a bargain on a used rifle by now. I'd go shoulder the Savage/Stevens, Marlin X series, T/C Venture, and the Mossbergs. See which fits you best, and buy it. The Savage and Marlin are both excellent buys that I have first hand experience with. Stay away from the 710-15, 770 series Remingtons, as they have little resale value and poor performance track records. As for caliber, stay away from the magnums of any size. The worse thing you can do is to start out with something that will kick the taste right out of your mouth, along with emptying your pocketbook. The .308 is a great caliber, and probably what I'd recommend, but the 7-08 and .243 will kill a deer just as dead. The .270, .280, and 06 will work great, but aren't necessary to kill a deer. Get a quality scope in the value filled 3X9 range. The Bushell Elite 3200, Redfields new line, Sightrons S1, S2 series, and the Vortex Diamondback, Viper are all excellent value priced good quality scopes. The big thing now is to get it together with a variety of ammo, a good quality bore cleaner, and shoot the thing. Find what ammo your rifle likes, by some more, clean your bore at regular intervals, get it "0". I usually shoot most at 2" high @ 100yds. Then practice shooting at different distances, with a cold bore first shot being the one that counts. Get familiar with your rig before taking it afield. If you put in the practice time, you'll be amazed at how much better prepared you'll be than the vast majority of hunters.

Back
Top Bottom