• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Rifle Caliber For My Needs

I think .308 is great .
I also know .270 is great and both can fill the bill you describe. A great choice of rifle in .270 is the Thompson Center Compass . Light, easy recoil and threaded for suppressor and there is a rebate . The accuracy out of the box is outstanding. Just my 2 cents.

.243 Winchester, with 95, 100, or 105 gr. bullets for the deer or other 100+ pound animals.

Load it with 55-65 grain varmint bullets to kill coyotes.

It's got just a bit over half the recoil (in ft/ lbs.) of a .308 Win.

It shoots flatter than a .308 or any other .30 caliber except the biggest magnums.
The .243 has plenty of killing power, low recoil, and a flat trajectory out to several hundred yards, which is past your maximum hunting range anyway.

AND, there are a lot of choices for the type of lightweight rifle you want in this caliber.

IMO 308 is the only choice here. Tons of choices of rifles (both new and old) and ammo. AR10 (M&P 10 or PSA10), FAL (DSA), or 308 Garand/M1A, maybe the new 308 Tavor if you don't mind waiting a bit for release would be my picks.

.308 vs coyote noggin

E3B079E8-BE8D-4189-AC06-40881E2B8D85.jpeg

Remember, people, he asked about the best rifle caliber FOR HIS NEEDS.

Not the best all-around big game hunting caliber for any and all game animals found in North America.

His needs are: Whitetail Deer, Hogs, Cyotes, and other similar size game.... 300 yards.

Consider for a moment where you are though..... Bigger.. Faster.. Louder.. We don't just want to effectively harvest modest-sized game...... We want to blast it into the next zip code..... LOL!! :)

Back
Top Bottom