• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do You Practice Draw and Fire From Concealed Carry?

Aha so that's why his finger was right next to the trigger. I never realized that about his little mishap. He has to be one of the most ridiculed people on the whole internet.
He really isn't alone in this. Many of the top training schools won't even allow SERPA holsters in their classes because of this. With speed, it's way too easy for that index finger to slap the trigger as the weapon clears the holster.

No matter what holster you draw from, sticking your finger on the trigger prior to acquisition of the target is gonna cause a negligent discharge
True, but the way a weapon is released from a SERPA puts considerable pressure on the trigger finger. If you don't get the pressure off the finger after the release, but before the weapon clears the holster that pressure can very easily end up on the trigger. This is why it is most likely that the fastest shooters are the ones that do this. They're not intentionally putting their finger in the trigger guard. It snaps onto the trigger due to the positioning of the finger and the pressure needed to release the weapon from the holster. In a perfect world that pressure would hit the frame above the trigger, but we don't live in a perfect world and the design of a SERPA makes an ND way to likely.

I would love to try some competitions, but have no idea how to get started or what to do.

feel free to shoot me a message. Be careful. It’s addictive. You don’t need fancy gear to get started. Gun, holster, mags and a mag pouch will get your foot in the door for USPSA or IDPA.

Okay, you get it. But you know what I'm talking about building skills, too. Right?

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is encouragement for new and intermediate shooters to gain skill before speed. Way too many people try to go too fast too soon.
Yeah I understand that for a beginner to get the fundamentals down. Once you get that, it’s game on. Get a timer or download a timer app and get to work!

for example I’ll set my par time for 2.0sec for a 4 aces drill(draw, 2 shots, reload, 2 shots) I can maybe hit that 1 out of 100 times. But when I set the par timer for 2.5, I can do it 80% of the time. Really pushing the time in dryfire/live fire makes a reasonable timed run seem “slow motion”. If that makes any sense.

I totally agree with keeping the guns as similar as possible, but do you ever shoot from your back, prone, on your side, crouched, kneeling, one handed, twisted and uncomfortable, etc?
Oh yes! Also moving and from cover. I practice the hell out of reloads, even one handed reloads. I intentionally cause random malfunctions so I can practice immediate action drills. I practice long precision shots. I pretty much do it all.

However!

At least 75% of my time on the handgun range is spent practicing a simple draw and double tap. I spend about half that time doing this with sights at around 7 yards and the other half point shooting at around 3 yards. In the real world of Self Defense that's the situation you are most likely to need to use your weapon. I'd bet around 90% of SD shootings occur within that envelope and the first person to get accurate rounds on target is going to survive. Also remember that it is very likely that you will be reacting, not acting, so you are already behind the curve. Speed is paramount to survival.

There are probably quite a few people on here that can out shoot me with a handgun at 25 yards, but very few that can put two rounds in the A zone at 3 yards from concealment faster than I can.

Reactions: MRH
It doesn't really matter if you suck compared to some of the other competition shooters. They are all good guys, in all probability, and it is not likely you will be facing them in the street.
They say consistency is what it's all about, even if it's not likely what you will face on the street.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom