• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime?

Do you think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime?

• Yes, I think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • No, I don't think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime

Votes: 49 58.3%

• Total voters
ya uhhh i dont see that happening these days buddy. when was the last time that happened (dont say troy davis, that dude was guilty).

and yes im aware a few people are removed from death row, but its not because they are innocent, they just had their sentence commuted

besides, feelings are the last thing im thinking about when it comes to murderers and rapists
It most certainly happens. Have you ever known a person that didn't make a mistake? Mistake #2: I'm not your buddy.

I have some experience here. I have spoken to hardened criminals that have told me that some of there actions were limited because "I don't want Death Row" They will consider committing a murder or other capital crimes but stop short of using aggravated tactics that will invoke the death penalty.
I have also heard them say they will not carry guns during a Burglary and other property crimes because of the increased jail sentences.
None of the deterrents will stop all crimes, but the death penalty is one that does work. However it would be way more effective if it was quicker.

BTW I don't think the death penalty should be used for an isolated act of passion except in extreme circumstances.
Unless its my family, then the state will not have to worry about it!

Last edited:
This is obviously very simplified, but shows some interesting stats. The full stats are on deathpenaltyinfo.org

Attachments

• deterrence09(1)[1].jpg
    deterrence09(1)[1].jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
a mistake is being forgetful. not murder and rape.

and ok guy
The mistake to which I was referring was wrongly convicting an innocent person, not a capital offense. Sheesh. Jurys make mistakes, check out the number of folks that were 100% innocent that have been released from death row. THe numbers are higher than you might think.

Back
Top Bottom