• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dove Field

No law against baiting the hell out of them in small area beside your field now to mid August turn it under around the 15 th and start stripping your field.that way you will be attracted all the local birds to your area.

Yeah, unless you have a stand of something to cut, the next best thing is top sowing winter wheat. Foster is correct on the legality part too. It used to be legal. It was pretty much baiting though, so they made some law. Probably one you wouldn’t want to find out about the hard way. We have had some outstanding hunting on top sow wheat. A good while back I guess. I remember when you could shoot ducks, with lead, on the hooch, north of Atlanta. Legally Lol.
What about planting winter rye?

What about planting winter rye?
Wheat is better. I would think any seed might work. Ive seen great numbers on wheat, and it’s a very common cover crop.
Late season birds are fast flying migrants usually. A blast to shoot at. They don’t stick around though. The more available quality seed, the better. Maybe try a combo. Turn, burn, and sow different strips.

78D7B752-A365-4BB3-A53E-B1DD5698E1F9.jpeg
Got some sunflowers starting to bloom out

Planting a dove mix is tough. Sorghum/sunflowers need planted in late April-first week of May to mature in time for season. Your millet crops shouldn’t be planted until the first week of June. Planting all these crops in the same mix causes a real issue for the sunflowers. They do not compete well with grass crops, hence the reason yours have heads the dove baseballs and not volley balls. Pre emerge chemistry is your friend with the crops you’ve selected. Dual Magnum is labeled for both sorghum and sunflowers and does a good job on small seeded broadleaf weeds, like pigweed, and decent on unfavorable grasses, like crabgrass. While it’s not labeled for millet trust me when I tell you it won’t kill it or keep it from germinating.
As far as the late season stuff goes. Disc ground and top sow wheat for the late season. The planting date for northeast Georgia is oct 15 I believe, so anytime after is fine. They’re may be and end date to that planting widow. You would need to do you due diligence on that one.

Back
Top Bottom