• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gander Mtn sucks

They have some nice clothes. Pricey, but nice. I couldn't even afford the stuff on clearance, lol. They have a big selection if you don't know what you want or just window shopping while the wife is in the Hobby Lobby.

but, dang! The gun counter at ROSES! You too a long ride in the way-back machine to get to that one! They had one of those here in Lawrenceville. I don't remember a gun counter, though. For some reason, I remember pool toys and those little pin wheels.
Around 1990 I worked the sporting goods department at a Roses store in South Macon. And damn near every Sunday their ads would have some type of milsurp rifle on sale. Like $49.00 Mosins, $69.00 Enfield's and $99.00 Mausers from pick your country of origin. But most of the time we didn't have more than a doze n of any of those Rifles on hand on the day the ad came out. So I filled out way more raincheck forms than 4473 forms on those Rifles...

I remember the Roses on Pio Nono back in the day. Just before Rocky Creek Rd. They had the best selectoin of WWII plastic models I'd ever seen. My mom quit buying me snap-lock ones because I'd have them together before we got home. So we went to Roses to let me pick one out for that month to work on. Tiger tanks and Shermans F4U Corsairs even a big-ass B-24 Liberator. Cut my finger on that one. Great memories. Not sure why I can't remember a gun counter. Maybe just too young.

Gander Mtn pricing on anything is down right absurd. $27/bx of range .45 is their SALE price. Didn't even bother asking what regular price is. All guns at MSRP+. I don't see how they could possibly be opening new stores. I predict they will close down in short order.

I have been in the store in Albany several times since they opened a few years ago. As mentioned it's a great place to kill time while my wife is as the make up store or hobby lobby. I have spent $0.00 in the store. Everything in there seems high. If you whine about used glock prices here don't go to GM. The new gun prices are at least MSRP and the guys behind the counters are foul mouthed and full of it. That said every time I go there are folks standing in line begging them to take their money.

I remember the Roses on Pio Nono back in the day. Just before Rocky Creek Rd. They had the best selectoin of WWII plastic models I'd ever seen. My mom quit buying me snap-lock ones because I'd have them together before we got home. So we went to Roses to let me pick one out for that month to work on. Tiger tanks and Shermans F4U Corsairs even a big-ass B-24 Liberator. Cut my finger on that one. Great memories. Not sure why I can't remember a gun counter. Maybe just too young.
That's the store where I worked in 89/90 or sometime around then. Back then sporting goods was a shared department with electronics. At least the guns and ammo were. Fishing tackle was out on the aisles. But that's the first place I ever saw a Mosin. And the ones we got in were in individual cardboard boxes. Each box looked like the importer had stuck the cosmoline grease gun in one end of the box and pumped the handle till it came out the other end. Back then they always had mil surp rifles in the racks next to cheap Stevens shotguns and Rifles. When I got my number 4 Enfield on sale at $69.00 I had to ride to the store in Griffin to find one in stock. Both Macon stores sold out quickly.
But again as far as Gander Mountain is concerned I already knew I wouldn't be a shopper in there. If I'm looking for stuff they don't have at Academy I go to the local shops. That's not as easy here in Darien/Brunswick as it was in middle GA. But I'm figuring it out.

I don't see how the one here in Newnan stays open. Every time I pass by there the parking lot is near empty. I went in twice the past month to price fish finders and PFD's and I think there was only one or two other customers in the whole store.

Back
Top Bottom