• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia proposes no carry licenses

Copied from an email:
The Georgia "Constitutional Carry" Act of 2012 will eliminate the requirement that individuals in Georgia have a Georgia Weapons Carry License in order to carry openly or concealed in the State of Georgia.

The Georgia "Constitutional Carry" Act of 2012 will:

Eliminate the mandatory intrusive government requirement for background checks of law-abiding Georgia gun owners;
Eliminate the mandatory requirement for taxes or “fees” be paid to county governments across the state, some of which add up to more than $100;
Eliminate mandatory government fingerprinting requirements;
Eliminate mandatory trips to county probate courts in order to carry openly or concealed;
Eliminate mandatory county government-imposed weapons license waiting periods;
Leave the current Georgia Weapons Carry License in place as a voluntary license, for the sake of reciprocity; the license will no longer be mandatory to carry open or concealed in Georgia.

"Law-abiding citizens should not have to be fingerprinted and cataloged like common criminals just to be able to defend themselves, their family and their property.

In this day and age, with our firearms rights under full-fledged attack from Washington, and even here in the State, it's time to finally remove the government-imposed barriers to private protection and self-defense," said State Rep. Jason Spencer.

In recent years, similar pieces of legislation have passed in Arizona and Wyoming, joining two other states, Alaska and Vermont, where gun owners are not required to carry around a government permit in order to defend themselves and their families.

"Constitutional Carry" decriminalizes the practice of carrying a handgun openly or concealed without a permit for those who are legally eligible to purchase and possess a handgun under state and federal law, and otherwise grants the same authority to carry as enjoyed by permit holders.

"It's time to remove the barriers to firearms carry in Georgia. It's time the legislature hold public and transparent hearings on the Georgia 'Constitutional Carry' Act of 2012. The members and supporters of Georgia Gun Owners are calling on members of the House Judiciary Non-Civil Committee and Speaker David Ralston to hold these hearings as soon as the legislature reconvenes in January.

The right to defend oneself in Georgia does not come from a piece of government paper. Our right to self defense is God-given, " said D.R. Leonard, Political Director.

For more information about the Georgia "Constitutional Carry" Act of 2012, please contact Ashley Rodriguez at ashley.r@georgiagunowners.com.

I oppose this idea only due to reciprocity with other states. Having the little piece of paper makes me feel better if I'm pulled over in another state that honors it.

Does you opposition disappear now that you know this won't be a problem? Voluntary licensing is available for exactly this reason.

You either don't understand GA carry laws or you're not expressing yourself very well.

I studied Ga Law as I am a criminal justice major, and unless it has been updated since 2009 (which it very well might have been) I have observed, as well as been told by SEVERAL ex LEO's that Ga State Law states that someone may be punished for the crime of concealing a handgun or pistol without the proper permit. I DO understand the law and didnt comment to start an arguement with you Dunkel. Im sure you know your stuff as well and if there is something I dont know, please educate me sir. And everything is completely different in Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, and Arizona! Thats like saying that even though parts of Europe have legalized all drugs and the crime rate over there has dropped from it, that we should do the same. Its diff places with different people. As for here, in Ga, I would even like it if before someone wasd issued a GFL or GWP, or CCW, or whatever its called, that they should have to pass a fire arms class before its given. I dont want idiots with guns carrying in the streets. But thats just me.

I studied Ga Law as I am a criminal justice major, and unless it has been updated since 2009 (which it very well might have been) I have observed, as well as been told by SEVERAL ex LEO's that Ga State Law states that someone may be punished for the crime of concealing a handgun or pistol without the proper permit. I DO understand the law and didnt comment to start an arguement with you Dunkel. Im sure you know your stuff as well and if there is something I dont know, please educate me sir. And everything is completely different in Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, and Arizona! Thats like saying that even though parts of Europe have legalized all drugs and the crime rate over there has dropped from it, that we should do the same. Its diff places with different people. As for here, in Ga, I would even like it if before someone wasd issued a GFL or GWP, or CCW, or whatever its called, that they should have to pass a fire arms class before its given. I dont want idiots with guns carrying in the streets. But thats just me.
Never take legal advice from a LEO. That is what attorneys are for.

And here is the law from lexis nexus
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

Last edited:
I studied Ga Law as I am a criminal justice major, and unless it has been updated since 2009 (which it very well might have been)

It has, in fact, changed. And while it's very impressive that you're a criminal justice major, when you're wrong, you're wrong and your major doesn't make a wrong opinion correct. And it seems that, on this issue, you are either wrong or have not expressed yourself very well.

I have observed, as well as been told by SEVERAL ex LEO's that Ga State Law states that someone may be punished for the crime of concealing a handgun or pistol without the proper permit.

First of all, LEOs are notoriously misinformed when it comes to firearms laws in GA. But yes, this particular statement is correct. That is not what I was understanding you to be saying earlier.

I DO understand the law and didnt comment to start an arguement with you Dunkel. Im sure you know your stuff as well and if there is something I dont know, please educate me sir.

Don't be so sensitive. I'm trying to educate you, but if you're going to get butthurt over it, this isn't going to work.

And everything is completely different in Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, and Arizona!

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Georgians are inherently less trustworthy than Vermonters, Alaskans, Wyomingites, or Arizonians. Please, can you elaborate on what other Constitutional rights we poor Georgians are not worthy of enjoying?

Thats like saying that even though parts of Europe have legalized all drugs and the crime rate over there has dropped from it, that we should do the same.

First of all, yes, we should do that, but that is not what we're talking about. Second, while I do believe that doing drugs is, at least, an implied right protected by the Constitution, it is not specifically spelled out like the right to keep and bear arms is.

Its diff places with different people. As for here, in Ga, I would even like it if before someone wasd issued a GFL or GWP, or CCW, or whatever its called, that they should have to pass a fire arms class before its given. I dont want idiots with guns carrying in the streets. But thats just me.

Ah, so you're one of those. You probably support "common sense" gun control laws, too, huh?

Back
Top Bottom