• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GWCP With Misdemeanor Marijuana Charge ?

1st
As for my title.
I know somebody who got their GWCP but also know this person had a Misdemeanor marijuana charge some (I estimate ) 3-4 years ago at the most.

Would a first offender plea enable this person to get a GWCP so soon after even a 6 month probation completion? I thought it was 5 years wait after sentencing completion.

I just want some opinions , I could guess this person lied on the permit application ?

Or maybe 1st offender & the person having all the Fine paid up front ( this helps IMHO ) & fulfilled all other requirements of sentencing ASAP ? Hence thm getting a GWCP so quickly after sentencing . ???

Just thinking thanks.
Davers

Asking for a friend, amirite? lol

No about someone I know.

Me I have 0 to hide , I have 2 misdemeanor convictions the last being in 2007.
So as the 'Vagueish' law reads , I suppose i'm screwed for life , W/O $ and a good Lawyer.
Well At-least I am able to purchase my Gun's legally , I just can not protect myself & family the way I would like to .

Well , I did the crime & I'm suffering the consequences.

P.S. I have not had a Drink in 15 years & BELIEVE ME society would rather have me smoke pot than Drink.

You can have a felony as long as it's non violent and have all your rights restored with first offender and still be able to buy guns and get a carry permit.

Yea just don't catch any other charges esp, while on probation , cause you can be retried on the original Felony charge . Or that's the way it used to be.

Nice that I can Visit Canada FWIW.

You can have a felony as long as it's non violent and have all your rights restored with first offender and still be able to buy guns and get a carry permit.

"Having your rights restored" and "First Offender" are two different things.

After a felony conviction, your rights are restored by the State Board of Pardons and Parole. You must ask specifically for your gun rights to be restored. It is a matter of policy that they will not restore your rights for violent felonies.

Also, there is some confusion at the Federal level about whether a restoration of rights allows a felon to purchase a gun from an FFL because of the way the questions on the 4473 are asked.

"First Offender" is imposed (or awarded, depends on your view) by the judge at the sentencing on the conviction. The terms are that you must complete all the terms of probation without further incident. The kicker is that you must plead guilty to receive the treatment, and if you violate the conditions of parole, the judge can impose incarceration up to the full legal length allowed for the offense, with no more proceedings on guilt or innocence. If you successfully complete the sentence under the First Offender program, the records of the arrest and conviction are sealed, and the conviction is expunged. Your civil rights return to the status you had before the conviction by operation of law. You can truthfully answer that you have never been convicted of the crime. (What is up in the air is on an employment application, can you answer that you have never been arrested?)

That said, the First Offender reporting system is not perfect. I am aware of one instance where the person completed First Offender, purchased several guns from FFLs over the years, then 10 years later was kicked off a jury panel for the conviction. Apparently the DA has some assess to some double secret conviction list, because we ran his record through GCIC and it came back clean. Every record that we could put our hands on showed no record of the arrest and expungement. The DA of course was not at all helpful. The DA was in another state, so his source had to be at the interstate level.

Back
Top Bottom