• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you aim?

Childers

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
62   0
Reaction score
I took two new pistols to the range today. I noticed that I needed to put the front dot right a little above the 5-6" steel targets at 15 yards. I'm starting to feel that the way I shoot is neeing to aim high just a bit. I square up the rear dots so that the target is in betweeen the rear too. I place the front dot a little high. This generally gives me 80% accuracy or better. I'm curious as to how you shoot and with what. I do this with my HK vp9, Sig 229 legion, Glock 17 and others.

All depends on your sight heights. I won't explain because I'm sure someone else can do so better, but see what your front and rear sight heights are and figure out where POA/POI is. Once you've determined that you have to make your holds like you would on an optic.

Some guns are set from the factory to be POA (point of aim, dot is where the bullet lands) others are pumpkin (bullet lands on top of front sight, this is my neighbors prefered sight set up and he sets all his guns up that way) some half pumpkin (half bullet above sight, half is covered by front sight)

I set all my guns up to shoot poa with the top of the front sight blade and top of rear sight blade lined up level. I'm not to timid to buy a set of sights and change them out to achieve this result

Yeah, it seems that different guns require different points of aim. With my CZs, the front sight covers my intended point of impact. I recently fired an M&P 9 M2.0 and had to aim quite a bit above the intended point of impact, also known as a 12 o'clock aim. I have shot other guns where I had to aim below the intended point of impact, also known as a 6 o'clock aim. So, you really just have to learn how your particular gun shoots.

Back
Top Bottom