How do you organize your ammo?

I have a separate room - area - in my basement away from the heater, water heater and other mechanical devises. In that section, I set up some Rigid Rack shelving on which to store ammunition. This area is fairly temperature and humidity stable; without being hermetically sealed. I also store targets and some components in the same room, for the same reasons.

As much as possible, I store ammunition by caliber, with commonest used items in the easiest to reach sections.

One rack is all pistol ammunition. Some of it is in original packing cartons - as Shane Adams said, no reason to store it any other way. Specific function ammo - for chrono testing, hunting or defense purposes - is kept in commercial plastic ammo boxes. General load practice ammo I keep in ammo cans. I prefer the narrow cans for this purpose as they still hold a large number of rounds and they easier to carry and maneuver than the larger sizes.
Magazine 1.jpgMagazine 2.jpg
A wooden shelf unit I scrounged somewhere many winters ago holds rifle, shotgun and .22 ammunition. As the picture shows, mostly original packaging. I also have a supply of plastic ammo boxes suited for load development and bulk storage of reloaded ammo.Magazine Rifle 1.JPGMagazine Rifle 2.JPG

The pictures show the hang tags - available at office supply stores and many 'general' stores - identifying the contents of the ammo can. In the past, I've had to dig through everything to find something. Not if I can help it anymore. Some of the cans have contents labeled in magic marker, but it isn't easily visible when stacked.

In terms of ammo cans, fingernail polish remover will take off the yellow markings found on U. S. ammo cans. Other countries ammo cans are not as cooperative. I once considered a system of colored (spray painted) cans for various uses, but decided it was more problem than solution.

As time goes on and I accomplish more work on the house, I may change this arrangement. I have a half basement and half crawl space arrangement and the crawl space fairly screams for developing.

Also, pray forgive the clutter. I'm somewhat new at this organization business.

In cans/boxes/crates by caliber...Stored in decommissioned ATM vaults..

Here are a few of mine..

View attachment 171415

Top drawers slide out for easy access.
Combo lock...
makes for a nice ammo vault and pretty heavy duty...
AK locker on left and AR/308 on right with some .22 on top
Tannerite in the bag on bottom for those special occasions

Ammo crates stack up nice....this is 7.62x54r...no reason to store this any other way...

I have no idea why it turns the damn pic sideways...

Where did you get the ATM lockers?

I keep mine in an ammo safe, stored in ammo cans. The ammo cans are labled on the top and on the front. I also have 2 "foot locker" type plastic containers with seals that I keep some ammo in, including the ammo I frequently use for range time.

I keep mine in 50cal ammo cans labeled. My factory ammo in orginal boxes and my reloads in plastic bags. I also keep my primers and powder in large ammo cans that are about 4 or 5 times the size of the 50cal cans.

I have some wood boxes that I keep mags in that were for rockets or mortar rounds. I may sell them as I found another way to store my mags.

Back
Top Bottom