• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you store your ammo?

Sorry to resurrect a zombie, but this thread shows up on a google search for "How to store ammo".

Me and the kids pulled out a 2008 box of .22LR (it's 2018 now) to plink at the range the other day and half the loads stovepiped, wouldn't fire, or just generally didn't shoot. It really put a dampener on an otherwise fun day shooting metal turkeys.

My storage up to that point was in a shoebox in my dresser drawer. After reading this thread I ordered a whole bunch of 50 cal cans (metal of course - wow that foot!), dessicant packs that you can re-set if need be, and ammo for our various guns. I even started to order those cool magnets from ammocanmagnets.com, but they don't have 25.06 so I had to send them an email letting them know us "ott six" shooters exist.

At any rate, this thread was gold for my search. Thanks guys!

The majority is in labeled USGI ammo cans in my walk-in gun room.

Most of the “labels” are cut off one of the boxes the ammo came in. This has all the info for the load, including lot number. If the ammo didn’t come packaged like that, I make a label with make, load, and lot number.

I use painters tape but some have duck tape.
"Zombie" ammo gets put in ammo cans,loose with desiccant packs inside the safe. Range ammo stays in original packaging, with desiccant packs inside ammo cans.
View attachment 798201 View attachment 798197

Hasn't changed much in two years. I need to shoot more!
20171021_144456.jpg

I try to only buy factory sealed surplus for long storage, either in sealed spam cans/ammo cans or thick factory battle packs. Other ammo is placed in a clean used ammo can with a clean and lubed seal.

Sorry to resurrect a zombie, but this thread shows up on a google search for "How to store ammo".

Me and the kids pulled out a 2008 box of .22LR (it's 2018 now) to plink at the range the other day and half the loads stovepiped, wouldn't fire, or just generally didn't shoot. It really put a dampener on an otherwise fun day shooting metal turkeys.

My storage up to that point was in a shoebox in my dresser drawer. After reading this thread I ordered a whole bunch of 50 cal cans (metal of course - wow that foot!), dessicant packs that you can re-set if need be, and ammo for our various guns. I even started to order those cool magnets from ammocanmagnets.com, but they don't have 25.06 so I had to send them an email letting them know us "ott six" shooters exist.

At any rate, this thread was gold for my search. Thanks guys!

What was the brand? I recently shot some .22lr that I had dated from '93 with zero issues ( I mark date on boxes so I can shoot the oldest first ). Maybe problem with the gun?

I love this thread. Pics of my storage later.

Back
Top Bottom