How to pick a muzzle for a .308?

Ok the name of the guy I got mine from was Texas Precision Products. He built this muzzle brake for me and it's one of the best brakes I have used to date and I've tried a few with 6.8's to smooth out the jolt of the lighter shorter versions. This is a three port brake with 3 on the sides and 3 circular ports on top. A very good brake and does a lot for my .308. I would give him a call and let him recommend a part for you. Here is the brake along with a pic of the rifle I built and he recommended the brake. I strictly wanted muzzle control son this what he suggested. It's a bull barrel so it had to be altered from original but if you don't have a bull barrel you won't have a problem with fitment.

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_184846517.jpg
    IMG_20210924_184846517.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210924_184911128.jpg
    IMG_20210924_184911128.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 9
That's an interesting concept.

Too bad it doesn't come in my size. I have 3/4x28 I believe. The thread pitch is either 24 or 28 but I know the diameter of the pattern is 3/4. Mine cost 150 so it not that much apart.

3/4 x 24 would be the typical thread pitch for 338 and up in the states. You get to move on to the APA fat b*stard for that. Same brake, 1 more chamber and bigger diameter aperture.

My brake is similar. 1 less port on the sides but bigger parts on top. No tunability. That's kinda ingenious how they made it tunable. I am going to shoot my gun in a couple days and see it could benefit from that.

3/4 x 24 would be the typical thread pitch for 338 and up in the states. You get to move on to the APA fat b*stard for that. Same brake, 1 more chamber and bigger diameter aperture.

In the pics it's looks like the ports on top would be to little to have any real effect. I mean I am not really sure because I have no experience but it looks like those should be larger to make a significant change in gas direction. All those holes combined don't look like they would add up to the sum of the 3 ports in mine. Your thoughts on that and CMshoot weigh in as well.

In the pics it's looks like the ports on top would be to little to have any real effect. I mean I am not really sure because I have no experience but it looks like those should be larger to make a significant change in gas direction. All those holes combined don't look like they would add up to the sum of the 3 ports in mine. Your thoughts on that and CMshoot weigh in as well.
No. Fluid dynamics. These were heavily engineered. If you get your hands on one, take a close look at the ports.

The vast majority of brakes just cut ports into the side. Not overly effective. The apa is far from that. Also, there are two holes per port to open up. And, they are on the sides and angled out so as not to blast gas straight up in the scope line.

There are a multitude of 3rd party tests showing how effective the apa brakes are.

Back
Top Bottom