• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for the best factory load 243 for hunting.........

The Barnes TTSX bullet is the best hunting bullet in the world. (IMO) Because it retains 99% of it's weight, the 80 grain TTSX has just as good (actually better) terminal ballistics as more traditionally designed 95 or 100 grain bullets while providing a flatter trajectory, higher velocity and less recoil. They are also inherently accurate. I have loaded this bullet in 243 for many people in the past and all the feedback I have gotten on performance in the field has been very positive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-shock-x-bullet-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

Im going to be trying the 110 grain in a .300 BO this year, I hope they perform as advertised.

Given the velocity, weight and caliber, I feel like I need to square up the shoulder instead of the typical heart/lung...you agree?
Not really. The 300 with the 110 Barnes is going to give you very similar terminal ballistics as a good 30-30 round. You'll get good penetration if not a complete pass through on heart/lung.

Not really. The 300 with the 110 Barnes is going to give you very similar terminal ballistics as a good 30-30 round. You'll get good penetration if not a complete pass through on heart/lung.
Yes, very similar to a 30-30, which is why I am blowing out the front shoulder just to be sure, ha!

I use Hornady American Whitetail ammo.
100 gr. bonded soft point.
Muz velocity is a hair under 3000 fps.
I only "expect" a 50-100 yard shot, but I'd feel comfortable making a 300 yard shot, broadside, from a good rest.
It shoots tight groups in my Savage model 10 .

PS: I have not shot a deer with it yet. But I think that this ammo will perform well, and I have not heard anything negative about it on the internet.
Thi ammo was reasonably priced also, ($0.80 a round) which means I get to practice with the exact same ammo I hunt with. If I were paying $2.50 a round for super premium ammo, you can bet that I would not be practicing with that other than maybe to fire three rounds a year just to confirm zero !

Attachments

• IMG_6346.PNG
    IMG_6346.PNG
    225 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6347.PNG
    IMG_6347.PNG
    118.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom