• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for the best factory load 243 for hunting.........

The Barnes TTSX bullet is the best hunting bullet in the world. (IMO) Because it retains 99% of it's weight, the 80 grain TTSX has just as good (actually better) terminal ballistics as more traditionally designed 95 or 100 grain bullets while providing a flatter trajectory, higher velocity and less recoil. They are also inherently accurate. I have loaded this bullet in 243 for many people in the past and all the feedback I have gotten on performance in the field has been very positive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-shock-x-bullet-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

Im going to be trying the 110 grain in a .300 BO this year, I hope they perform as advertised.

Given the velocity, weight and caliber, I feel like I need to square up the shoulder instead of the typical heart/lung...you agree?
Not really. The 300 with the 110 Barnes is going to give you very similar terminal ballistics as a good 30-30 round. You'll get good penetration if not a complete pass through on heart/lung.

Not really. The 300 with the 110 Barnes is going to give you very similar terminal ballistics as a good 30-30 round. You'll get good penetration if not a complete pass through on heart/lung.
Yes, very similar to a 30-30, which is why I am blowing out the front shoulder just to be sure, ha!

I use Hornady American Whitetail ammo.
100 gr. bonded soft point.
Muz velocity is a hair under 3000 fps.
I only "expect" a 50-100 yard shot, but I'd feel comfortable making a 300 yard shot, broadside, from a good rest.
It shoots tight groups in my Savage model 10 .

PS: I have not shot a deer with it yet. But I think that this ammo will perform well, and I have not heard anything negative about it on the internet.
Thi ammo was reasonably priced also, ($0.80 a round) which means I get to practice with the exact same ammo I hunt with. If I were paying $2.50 a round for super premium ammo, you can bet that I would not be practicing with that other than maybe to fire three rounds a year just to confirm zero !

Attachments

• IMG_6346.PNG
    IMG_6346.PNG
    225 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6347.PNG
    IMG_6347.PNG
    118.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom