• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Milwaukee Gun Store Held Liable for Milwaukee Officers’ Injuries

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-held-liable-for-milwaukee-officers-injuries/

How did they figure that?

“The lawsuit alleges the store was negligent and should’ve spotted clear warning signs that the gun was being sold to a ‘straw buyer,

I'm not sure what "clear signs" mean in this case. Perhaps someone could clarify other than claiming "coaching" which could mean explaining what the paragraph of legal word speak means to Joe Citizen...

Did the employee get charged?

Did the FFL lose his license?

Milwaukee has an interesting political background...

A friend of mine owns a pawn shop . If you seem to be up to no good in any way he will put you in the road !

I've witnessed it first hand ,but that still doesn't stop every moron from doing it .

Would they sue Walmart or Academy or Dicks ? I doubt it !

Badger guns was also previously called Badger Outdoors, and at times was the No. 1 seller of firearms used in crimes in the U.S. — moving 537 guns that were recovered from crime scenes in 2005 alone, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

It seems like it is a known problem with them. Without seeing the specifics it's hard to say but the numbers are astounding.

I am absolutely sure we will see a pawn shop in the "arrowhead area" come to light in this exact same manner. I've been there many times, and I just get the feeling they are arming the convicts there...

moving 537 guns that were recovered from crime scenes in 2005 alone?

Ok, let's compare an apple?

Every gun that is recovered from a crime scene, was sold by an FFL at some point and time.

I'm not defending Badger, but it's hard to compare an apple.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-held-liable-for-milwaukee-officers-injuries/

How did they figure that?

“The lawsuit alleges the store was negligent and should’ve spotted clear warning signs that the gun was being sold to a ‘straw buyer,

I'm not sure what "clear signs" mean in this case. Perhaps someone could clarify other than claiming "coaching" which could mean explaining what the paragraph of legal word speak means to Joe Citizen...

Did the employee get charged?

Did the FFL lose his license?

Milwaukee has an interesting political background...

"Did the employee get charged?".................While a agree one could argue the verdict in this lawsuit doesn't focus on the real problem...the non-eligible man who used a friend to straw purchase a handgun and possibly the employee who sold the handgun, we have to remember this verdict occurred in a civil court where the burden of proof is much lower than criminal court where any criminal charge would have been brought against the employee.

"Did the FFL lose his license"............Yeah, at least twice in the past 10 years, the first time in 2006 when the ATF was in the process of revoking the license and the Owners surrendered it.....http://archive.jsonline.com/news/mi...-ready-to-reopen-store-a762f78-161849845.html

"In 2006, ATF investigators recommended the rare step of revoking Badger Outdoors' license, but there was no revocation. That license was surrendered, and co-owner Mick Beatovic retired. The other owner, Walter Allan, went to work for his son, Adam Allan, who pulled a new license and changed the name to Badger Guns. Beatovic moved to Arizona but remains landlord of the store"

Then 2011 the license was revoked for federal law violations (the straw purchase mentioned in the lawsuit and the shooting of officers both occurred in 2009). The store closed on Dec 31, 2011 and reopened it's doors in January 2012. This time Adam Allen passed the ownership on to his brother Mike Allen who applied for another FFL license and was selling guns again by May of 2012, again from the above link:

"The new owner of a West Milwaukee gun shop closely scrutinized because of its high number of crime gun sales, including weapons used to wound police officers, has received a fresh federal firearms license and plans to resume selling guns soon. The owner, Mike Allan, is the brother of Adam Allan, the previous owner of Badger Guns, whose license was revoked in 2011 for breaking federal law. Mike Allan, who used to work for his brother, said Monday that he received approval to sell guns from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in May and would start selling in a couple of weeks

The link you posted references this store as at times being the Number 1 seller of firearms used in crimes in the nation:

"Badger Guns was also previously called Badger Outdoors, and at times was the No. 1 seller of firearms used in crimes in the U.S. — moving 537 guns that were recovered from crime scenes in 2005 alone, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives."

Even a nearby gun shop owner was/is critical of Badger Outdoors/Guns and the way they conducted business:

"Two nearby gun stores said they have seen an uptick in business since Badger Guns stopped selling guns. Kevin Nugent, owner of the Shooters Shop on S. 84th St. in West Allis, said he noticed an increase in suspicious buyers, including some smelling of alcohol or marijuana. He said he kicked them out of his store. Nugent does not buy the argument that Badger Guns had a high number of crime gun traces because it was close to Milwaukee's high crime areas. Nugent noted that he is only a few miles from Badger Guns but has not had the same number of crime gun traces.
"They say, 'It is an inner city thing.' No, it's the way you run your business thing," he said."

The repeated violations, same family changing ownership in name only, acquiring new FFL's to replace surrendered/revoked FFL, continuing the same bad practices under "new ownership".......clearly these clowns are not the model of "legitimate gun shop owners(s) unfairly persued by the federal government" I want to fall on my sword over.

I do think the precedence set by this suit has the potential to be very harmful to owners/sellers of guns in America in the future. That has the potential to be very bad thing. On the other hand if this case becomes some sort of bench mark for what actually constitutes bad business behavior in the market, sends a message to corrupt business owners that they will be held accountable for their actions, and goes no further to harm legitimate businesses, I might be ok with that. At any rate, whether the case turns out to be harmful to gun shops in the future or not, these Badger Outdoors/Guns/Brew City Shooter's Supply guys are clearly reaping what they have sown and are at least somewhat responsible for their own demise.

I've "coached" "mentored" "educated" countless friends and family with their purchases - this is no validation to point to a straw sale

Also at some point hasn't EVERY weapon that has ever been used in a crime gone through a FFL dealer ? Unless it was stolen from a gun store wouldn't that be the case ?

I've "coached" "mentored" "educated" countless friends and family with their purchases - this is no validation to point to a straw sale

Also at some point hasn't EVERY weapon that has ever been used in a crime gone through a FFL dealer ? Unless it was stolen from a gun store wouldn't that be the case ?

That's irrelevant, when a point is trying to made, by an ignorant reporter/journalist.

Back
Top Bottom