• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NOT so accurate sniper rifles...........

For a "sniper" rifle:
First thought = Bolt Action.

red hawk 600 group.jpg

Had a little wind that day.

308.jpg

SVD is a designated marksman rifle, NOT a sniper rifle. That role used to be filled in by a Mosin, now it is SV-98. Secondly, PSL is NOT an SVD. First is a long stroke piston, like an AK, second is a short stroke piston. Short stroke does not upset the rifle's balance durung the shot.
Vepr will be more accurate than PSL. Better barrel. Better receiver.

SVD is a designated marksman rifle, NOT a sniper rifle. That role used to be filled in by a Mosin, now it is SV-98. Secondly, PSL is NOT an SVD. First is a long stroke piston, like an AK, second is a short stroke piston. Short stroke does not upset the rifle's balance durung the shot.
Vepr will be more accurate than PSL. Better barrel. Better receiver.

Well, actually, the official Soviet military name for the Dragunov SVD is Снайперская Винтовка системы Драгунова образца 1963 года Snayperskaya Vintovka sistem'y Dragunova obraz'tsa 1963 goda (SVD-63), officially "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963".

So, according to the Soviet's that invented and built it, it's a "Sniper Rifle."

While I was a Scout/Sniper in the Corps, we studied a lot of the Sniper doctrine of different countries, including the Soviet, then the Russian, doctrine. By American military standards, the Soviet/Russian Snipers were primarily trained and employed as Designated Marksmen, even though the Soviets called them by the title Snayperskaya/Sniper. The term "Designated Marksman" is not one that is used in Soviet/Russian military doctrine, unless they have made a change very recently.

Of course, ya gotta remember, the rest of the military was carrying AK's, so when compared to those, the SVD was an accurate rifle!

"Designated Marksman" is not one that is used in Soviet/Russian military doctrine, unless they have made a change very recently."
Was used by the Romanian Army, who used the PSL.

Well, actually, the official Soviet military name for the Dragunov SVD is Снайперская Винтовка системы Драгунова образца 1963 года Snayperskaya Vintovka sistem'y Dragunova obraz'tsa 1963 goda (SVD-63), officially "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963".

So, according to the Soviet's that invented and built it, it's a "Sniper Rifle."

While I was a Scout/Sniper in the Corps, we studied a lot of the Sniper doctrine of different countries, including the Soviet, then the Russian, doctrine. By American military standards, the Soviet/Russian Snipers were primarily trained and employed as Designated Marksmen, even though the Soviets called them by the title Snayperskaya/Sniper. The term "Designated Marksman" is not one that is used in Soviet/Russian military doctrine, unless they have made a change very recently.

Of course, ya gotta remember, the rest of the military was carrying AK's, so when compared to those, the SVD was an accurate rifle!
That is very true, if all you have known and everyone with you carries 4+ Moa rifles with iron sights and you are issued a rifle that shoots 2-3moa with a scope you have an amazingly accurate rifle in comparison lol

The SV-98 has it's problems as well, and it is limited by the availability of quality ammunition in 7.62x54R. In 7.62x51mm, the SV-98 has been "rated" as a .62MOA weapon. In 7.62R, Spetznatz says it is capable of 1.15MOA @ 100 meters field accuracy. In training testing with the proper ammo, Spetznatz achieved .75MOA accuracy.

"Designated Marksman" is not one that is used in Soviet/Russian military doctrine, unless they have made a change very recently."
Was used by the Romanian Army, who used the PSL.

I was not referring to the Romanians, but to the Soviet/Russian doctrine. I never studied Romanian Sniper doctrine. Also, I was referring strictly to the Dragunov SVD, not the PSL.

Back
Top Bottom