• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NOT so accurate sniper rifles...........

Russian is my first language and I played with an Army issue select fire AKs, RPK and semi-auto SVD a lot when I was growing up. Shot Army issue Makarov when I was 5. Still hate it and do not understand why it is so popular here.
There is only one Russian word for a sniper, but there were several types of snipers in the Soviet Army. Some used SVDs, others "graduated" to use Mosins and SV98s. Common? No, but wars in Afganistan and Chechnya have realy changed things around.

Edit: sounded conceded when I really did not meant to.

Regardless of it's capabilities or their training, the Soviets called the SVD a "Sniper Rifle". By Soviet standards, they trained their personnel as Snipers and called them such. By our standards, they are Designated Marksmen. So, who's correct? Or, more importantly, who gives a ****?

I trained with the Russian Naval Infantry/Marines in 1994. They were using SVD's, they called themselves Snipers, and called the SVD a "Sniper's rifle".

The Romanian PSL in military service has a very spotty and inconsistent record. One PSL in a good shooter's hands with good 7N1 ammo and good optics may shoot 1MOA. The next one under the same conditions may shoot 3MOA. Lots of issues with insufficient quality control during the manufacturing process.

The Finnish "Marksman, White Death" Made most of his kills with an old bolt action without scope, any weapon can become a "Sniper" weapon in the right hands. Sniper is the shooter, not the weapon, it is just an accurate Scoped rifle, no more, no less.

A weapon is only as accurate as it's user.:thumb:
Nope. Because there is no such thing as a perfect user, the weapon is always more accurate than the user. However, no user can make a weapon more accurate than it mechanically is. So, accuracy of the weapon and accuracy of the user are completely different things that when combined determine how accurate the results will be.

Accuracy is the results of all the different aspects of the shot and any flaw in each aspect has a cumulative negative affect on accuracy. Thus, phrases like, "the rifle is more accurate than me" are nonsensical.

Nope. Because there is no such thing as a perfect user, the weapon is always more accurate than the user. However, no user can make a weapon more accurate than it mechanically is. So, accuracy of the weapon and accuracy of the user are completely different things that when combined determine how accurate the results will be.

Accuracy is the results of all the different aspects of the shot and any flaw in each aspect has a cumulative negative affect on accuracy. Thus, phrases like, "the rifle is more accurate than me" are nonsensical.
I disagree, there is no such thing as a perfect weapon, Alvin York used his weapon to the Max, so have many other shooters, any weapon is only as good as the man pulling the trigger, You can have the most "accurate" weapon ever made, but the shooter factors in, Range, wind, drift, drop and anticipates the Targets movement, "Paper just stands there" people move. Been there, done that..

I disagree, there is no such thing as a perfect weapon, Alvin York used his weapon to the Max, so have many other shooters, any weapon is only as good as the man pulling the trigger, You can have the most "accurate" weapon ever made, but the shooter factors in, Range, wind, drift, drop and anticipates the Targets movement, "Paper just stands there" people move. Been there, done that..
For someone that started out saying you disagree, what you said sounds remarkably like what I did. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom