• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Open carry long gun in Georgia

I don't like having to pay to exercise a right, but it's the law and I'd like to keep the few guns that I have.
Someone chooses to push a shopping cart filled with guns around Wal-Mart: okay.
Someone chooses to carry a handgun without a GWCL: okay.
I live in Clayton County; if I choose to open carry an AR at the Kroger on Tara Blvd just to prove a point it's not going to change anyone's opinion of the 2nd Amendment.
will either will the other 2 things you stated change someones opinion? I could count on 1 hand the number of opinions I give a damn about.

will either will the other 2 things you stated change someones opinion? I could count on 1 hand the number of opinions I give a damn about.
I'm not sure I understand your position.
I'm not saying open carry of any firearm will change anyone's opinion, I'm saying I don't have a reason to open carry and don't see why anyone else would.

I'm not sure I understand your position.
I'm not saying open carry of any firearm will change anyone's opinion, I'm saying I don't have a reason to open carry and don't see why anyone else would.
my position is worry about yourself. Not what unconstitutional voters think

my position is worry about yourself. Not what unconstitutional voters think
I'm less worried about what others think and more concerned about being the focus of a MWAG call in Jonesboro.
I see several open carry guys around town: the majority are black. If I decide to open carry an AR (and have my son watch my 6 as someone suggested) things may not go well for me.
That was the point of the OP.

I'm less worried about what others think and more concerned about being the focus of a MWAG call in Jonesboro.
I see several open carry guys around town: the majority are black. If I decide to open carry an AR (and have my son watch my 6 as someone suggested) things may not go well for me.
That was the point of the OP.
so you are suggesting if the op is black to reconsider his stance on oc?

so you are suggesting if the op is black to reconsider his stance on oc?
I have no idea what color the OPs skin is, but a person's skin color will make a difference on how they are treated depending on where they choose to open carry.
Black guy OC at Kroger in Jonesboro: nobody cares.
White guy OC at the same place: going to get noticed.

To legally open carry a long gun in Georgia does the barrel need to be 18 inches long? I have an AR-15 that is legally 16 inches, can I carry that openly in Georgia? I do have a carry permit

From Georgiapacking
Long gun - A firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
Looks like you started a pretty lively conversation. I scrolled through the responses, did you get your answer?

As far as whether one should open carry a rifle, I find it rude. In our society, someone entering a public venue armed with a rifle will cause fear. Like it or not, that's the fact. Then again, many, to include some of the responders on this thread, seem to enjoy the fear they cause. Maybe its a phallic thing, who knows.

If I saw a person walking into a public venue with a rifle, that person would garner my attention. We, as the responsibly armed, must remember that the open carry rifle types scare people and reflects poorly on the 2A community to many people. No one wants to be part of the next news flash. Not everyone is a 2A supporter, and most do not fully understand it, but they do vote. I'd rather they have a positive picture of us rather than someone carrying a rifle through the cereal isle at Kroger when they do vote.

You have the right, but that does not make it right.

Did I get my answer , not really ....I'd like to see some definitive documentation stating I'm allowed to carry a 16 inch barreled rifle in the open. there seems to be a lot of debate on whether I should or should not exercise my right. how else do you normalize something unless it's done??? for the people that are against open carry, do you also suggest limiting free speech that might hurt someone's feelings?

I have no current plans on open carrying, but I am about to purchase a motorcycle and would like to know how I can legally transport my rifle to the range while riding? if I put it in a rifle bag wouldn't that be considered illegally concealing a long rifle?

Did I get my answer , not really ....I'd like to see some definitive documentation stating I'm allowed to carry a 16 inch barreled rifle in the open. there seems to be a lot of debate on whether I should or should not exercise my right. how else do you normalize something unless it's done??? for the people that are against open carry, do you also suggest limiting free speech that might hurt someone's feelings?

I have no current plans on open carrying, but I am about to purchase a motorcycle and would like to know how I can legally transport my rifle to the range while riding? if I put it in a rifle bag wouldn't that be considered illegally concealing a long rifle?
You got your answer way,way back.
The way it was explained to me is that when the law was written 18 inches was the common minimum barrel length for rifles & shotguns. Overall length is also confusing.
Motorcycle & car transport of firearms should be the same.
When has anyone heard of someone getting arrested simply for carrying a rifle with a 16 inch barrel? Never. They might have gotten arrested for trespassing or doing something stupid, but not because the barrel was 16 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom