• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA done gone and done it... PSAK-47 GEN3 w/forged trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier

Hell, if i was inclined to take a chance on a 'merican-made, faux-AK, I'd rather just get a Golani Galil ( only Israeli parts are the furniture, trigger, and sights, IIRC, most everything else is US made. And, from what I've read, after the obligatory trip back to Century, they usually come back working right :becky:).

The first generation PSA AK with cast parts....”no worries it has a lifetime warranty”

The second generation PSA AK with select billet parts....”life time warranty too” and promises that the NEW GB2 is the answer American AK fans have been waiting for.

Now we have THIRD GENERATION with select forged parts with another lifetime warranty all the while the gen 1/2 with failed extractors, cracked trunnions, wandering headspace issues haven’t survived the lifecycle of the house fly. So durability of receivers, barrels, bolts.....who the hell knows.

PSA would be better served by producing an AK they believe meets Eastern European standards and BEFORE dumping it on the consumer with their in house torture test seal of approval instead let one of the few subject matter experts (Jim Fuller, Rob Ski, hell even LAV) give it a hard run, maybe even destructive testing, and see if their marketing meets AK reliability standards.

Until then I will patiently await the new and improved Gen 4 PSA rollout hype.

Ya know, ain't nothin' ever been wrong with a good ol' WASR. Even the ones I had from back in the vilified, over-blown, "canted sight/gas-tube" days, were solid, straight shooting rifles. They pop up on the used market,regularly, and sometimes pretty reasonably, and with lots of extras. Hell, I think I still have one floating around here somewhere, LOL! :becky:

I like Robski's videos, but at the same time, what he does to his guns I would never do...

We all like the sound of "torture test" because I am sure on some level we see a doomsday scenario where we run to our gun safe and grab a rifle and transform instantly into Seal Team 6 and go out and fight the Commies and save the day and our weapon got us to hell and back.

The reality is that most of us will ever use the gun in combat, let alone a prolonged deployment in awful conditions where we are gonna do 5k rounds without cleaning the gun... It's just not realistic.

And it by some miracle it was, I can simply grab one of the other 3 dozen guns out of the safe and use that instead...

If you had to use a rifle for self defense, how many rounds are we talking? 5? 10? 50?

I am thinking it will be a fine rifle for 99.9% of the people out there... Most of us get a gun like this for range plinking, maybe pop a hog once in awhile, etc...

I like Robski's videos, but at the same time, what he does to his guns I would never do...

We all like the sound of "torture test" because I am sure on some level we see a doomsday scenario where we run to our gun safe and grab a rifle and transform instantly into Seal Team 6 and go out and fight the Commies and save the day and our weapon got us to hell and back.

The reality is that most of us will ever use the gun in combat, let alone a prolonged deployment in awful conditions where we are gonna do 5k rounds without cleaning the gun... It's just not realistic.

And it by some miracle it was, I can simply grab one of the other 3 dozen guns out of the safe and use that instead...

If you had to use a rifle for self defense, how many rounds are we talking? 5? 10? 50?

I am thinking it will be a fine rifle for 99.9% of the people out there... Most of us get a gun like this for range plinking, maybe pop a hog once in awhile, etc...
Rob cleans the guns regularly to inspect for wear and makes sure not to shoot too fast. Keeps the barrel from overheating. In that sense it's not a torture test; more like hard use. I have dropped rifles before, fired a couple hundred rounds at the range, etc. and I think most of what Rob does is a good proxy for what I would do myself over the course of several years. Throwing a rifle into a stream or dragging it behind a truck is some that doesn't really have a basis in practical use, so I'll concede that.

With respect to weekend warriors and casual plinkers, this is probably a solid purchase. On the other hand, tools should be able to last a very long time and hold up to hard use.

Commblock stamped AKM are built to last 50K rounds. If a $600 WASR can go the distance and last 50K and 5K in Rob's tests, why is it unreasonable to expect the same from a $600 PSA or $600 tRASh-47 or VISKA? VISKA was spittting rivets after a few hundred rounds in one of the tests.

Rob will be testing the PSA AK, and I think it will pass. They have been very open about building it.

What awful condition is he testing it in? He shoots on the farm, and any well made AK can go 5K without cleaning (and Rob cleans his test guns, btw).
I cut my AK teeth on my dad's Soviet Army issue RPK74 and AK74 and yes, there were days when they would shoot many rounds without cleaning: several rifles issued out of the battalion armory for practice and all soldiers would take turns shooting them. Never saw any jams.

Back
Top Bottom