Question- Why do you guys buy and deck out an AR?

Here's the one I finished up last night. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/355670-I-think-I-FINALLY-built-my-perfect-AR (don't know if this qualifies as overkill or not)

To me, anything I put together is going to be the best, most accurate, versatile weapon that my knowledge, skill set, and wallet will allow my to build. If it's more gun than I need, so be it. I'd rather bring too much gun than not enough.

We all know the limitations of the 5.56 round, as far as versatility it's hard to beat. As other members have said it's a gun that my wife or kids could handle easily, where as my AR10 and FAL aren't. Ammo (used to be) cheap and plentiful. If I were deploying to a desert combat zone I would certainly prefer a 308, but I'm not. I'm a suburban family guy that hopefully won't ever do more than go to the range, and if I do end up in something more serious I can't imagine it being at ranges over 100 yards.

Also, as others have said, it's my hobby. I can't afford the nicest cars or the biggest house in the town, but I can afford to trick out a bad ass AR. What's the fun of building something mediocre?

I only have a aimpoint micro and buis on mine. I have a sling and a bipod for it, depending on what type of shooting I plan to do with it. I don't care if the round is ineffective, I just really enjoy shooting it. I buy cheap ass ammo anyway just so I can afford to shoot it more. The reason I own one is simply because i find it very fun to shoot. I did my time carrying a M4 in the sandbox too, but I don't hate it. I just realize that most issued M4's were old, worn out POS' and that's why they sucked. I'd like to have a .308 AR, but the one I really want is out of my price range and I can't afford to feed it like I can with .223.

I like mine pretty simple.
My Colt carbine has a Magpul stock (on it when I got it) and handguard (it was cheap, light, and I actually prefer the shape to the round ones), a Hogue grip (also on the rifle when I got it), an Eotech, and a surfire light. It's lightweight, so it's a lot more fun to shoot.

My Spike's SBR is still factory stock. It might get the Magpul treatment eventually, and maybe a Vortex Sparc. It won't be very fancy, that's for sure.

My first AR had so much crap on it that I might as well have had a Garand. I learned my lesson.:)
I wonder how some guys can hold their rifles up long enough to shoot more than a couple of mags.

i dont want a heavy @$$ AR but i do admire a lot of the gear options. they are fun to assemble and modify.

my mods are pretty simple :) after years of trial and error i specifically prefer a flat top middy with an Aimpoint optic, standard IMOD stock, Tango Down (size large) pistol grip, AFG, padded VTAC 2 pt sling, and either Troy or Diamondhead BUIS and im good...wait, thats gear queer aint it? i love my rifle setup. its light and durable.

1. reliability issues with the receiver- we cleaned our weapons and mags almost everyday and still had malfunctions frequently- may be the weapon, may be the ammo
2. round was frequently ineffective- took many shots to neutralize a target-
3. Round will not penetrate near as good as a 7.62- lacks punch

Was out there with you. Agree with all your comments.

I'm a AK man. Will always fire when you pull the trigger :D

Was out there with you. Agree with all your comments.

I'm a AK man. Will always fire when you pull the trigger :D

Lol, you AK guys. I love the way you talk like an AK malfunction is as impossible as pigs flying, it cracks me up. Nothing against you or your beloved Kalishnakov, if anything I'm jealous. I wish I loved something like you and the glockophiles love their unjammable guns. :D

Thank you for your service and a good laugh.

This thread is not intended to be offensive or belittle anyone's decision to purchase what they want- but rather I would really like to know why people buy them and sink so much money into accessories that have no real purpose other than CQB or maybe defending the Mall of GA from the roof top.

-I have carried and employed an M4 overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan on multiple deployments because I had to, and all we had attached to the thing was a Paq-4 IR laser and an ACOG. The same goes with the gear we wore- wear as little as possible to reduce weight and help eliminate snags when moving in tight spaces. When we were at Camp Victory in Baghdad, my buddy would call the troops who looked like a walking Blackhawk catalog "Gear Queers" and quite honestly the guys doing the job don't use all this tactical stuff.

-After having alot of experience with the .556 platform, you couldn't pay me to own one; but then that's my personal opinion.

My Main Question: What do yall do with these decked out AR's???????? Let's keep it clean and respect a grown man's decision to buy what he wants and I appreciate your comments.

Back
Top Bottom