• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling/trading firearms privately in Georgia... legal requirements.

If the buyer or seller in my transactions wants a BOS they can take care of filling it out. I will sign and date that's about it. I'm not going out of my way if it's not required
Like I said, I don't do a lot of buying, selling or trading of my firearms with private individuals I don't know, but I do on occasion. And, I honestly do feel better about dealing with other members of the ODT forum here. It is a great forum and a great community of folks with a common interest.

I have a generic BOS form specifically for the sale of a firearm. The only personal info the form asks for is a name, address, contact info, and a signature from both buyer/seller, plus the kind of firearm and serial#. I always fill out the forms, with my info, and what I know about the other party. All they have to do is sign it, usually. As for this increasing the possibility of identity theft, it is not likely. You'd be surprised what information you can find about someone just by Googling their name or cell phone number and the local they are from.

I know I'm in the minority here, about wanting a BOS, even though it is not a requirement, but just wanted some other opinions.

Of the few firearms I have bought/sold/traded privately, the other party didn't have a problem signing the BOS.

Again, thanks for all the comments and opinions.

Like I said, I don't do a lot of buying, selling or trading of my firearms with private individuals I don't know, but I do on occasion. And, I honestly do feel better about dealing with other members of the ODT forum here. It is a great forum and a great community of folks with a common interest.

I have a generic BOS form specifically for the sale of a firearm. The only personal info the form asks for is a name, address, contact info, and a signature from both buyer/seller, plus the kind of firearm and serial#. I always fill out the forms, with my info, and what I know about the other party. All they have to do is sign it, usually. As for this increasing the possibility of identity theft, it is not likely. You'd be surprised what information you can find about someone just by Googling their name or cell phone number and the local they are from.

I know I'm in the minority here, about wanting a BOS, even though it is not a requirement, but just wanted some other opinions.

Of the few firearms I have bought/sold/traded privately, the other party didn't have a problem signing the BOS.

Do you get the BOS notarized?

BOS is pretty much useless here. I will not do a deal with someone requiring one. If a peek at my DL and carry permit and my feedback on here isn't good enough for you, there are plenty of other people here I can deal with. I've met a good many great people through this forum and never had one give me any reason to be concerned about doing a deal with them. I have met a couple people I considered a little odd and maybe wouldn't have dealt with on a firearm, but those few were at meet and greets, not people I was meeting to do a deal with.

BOS is pretty much useless here. I will not do a deal with someone requiring one. If a peek at my DL and carry permit and my feedback on here isn't good enough for you, there are plenty of other people here I can deal with. I've met a good many great people through this forum and never had one give me any reason to be concerned about doing a deal with them. I have met a couple people I considered a little odd and maybe wouldn't have dealt with on a firearm, but those few were at meet and greets, not people I was meeting to do a deal with.
Yup, those M&G'ers are odd. :becky:

I have my BOS in my pants, smothered in sweaty underwear.

Back
Top Bottom