Sitting here thinking , Who has never been called for Jury Duty?

On the Douglas County questionnaire they asked if I or any of my family had ever been the victim of a crime. I told them my grandfather had been murdered in 1957 and his killer caught and given the death sentence and about 20 years later they not only didn't kill him but they let him go free because he "had suffered enough" and to not ever ask me to sit on a death penalty case because the bad guys seldom die. Pretty sure that might have given them a clue of my mindset and why they dismissed me (among other things like age and partially deaf and Air Force Master Sergeant retired joking about making them do push ups until they threw up.

Its intriguing to me. I've made it to the courtroom and the juror interviews but have never been selected.

That being said, some cases I wouldnt want to be on. My mother got on a child incest rape case and was foreman.

Got called to Jury Duty on an annual basis when I lived in Fulton County. Multiple times most years. Most were dismissed, sometimes I had to go in. Passed jury selection a few times and even made it to pretrial on a gang murder case with multiple defendants, where they trotted them into the courtroom with us all assembled so they could see that they were going to big boy court. One of them caved almost immediately and cut a plea deal, then they fell like dominoes. The judge thanked us for our service.

Nope, never summoned, never served. On one hand, I would like to, just for the experience. On the other hand, it would be very difficult for me to be impartial. I'm pretty sure I would be dismissed quite quickly.

Once in Dallas about 6 months after I got my carry permit. That was 20 years ago. I was the only one who voted guilty. Ended up the guy got off. After the case was over they told us all the evidence that they couldn’t tell us. Second time about 6 months after we moved to Rome and renewed my carry permit. They asked a few questions a set me home!

Back
Top Bottom