• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Underage gun sales

yawning (2).jpg

My son is 20....he can legally purchase a handgun from a private owner but cannot go to say Cabela's and purchase from a FFL. I know it's crazy with Ga. gun laws. He's a smart young man and hasn't put this to the test. Anytime he wants to shoot a handgun, he is with me.
I WISH like hell everything would go to one age number for EVERYTHING! When I think back about the way I drove at 16 it worries the hell out of me about my last daughter driving at even 17.
But let's look at "The Big Picture" here. Why can you join the military at 18 ( or 17 if your parents sign for you) ? But you gotta be 21 to drink or buy guns from an FFL. Why not 20? I mean where the **** did 21 come from? What does that one more year matter to good sense and responsibility?
Personally I say make it either 18 or 20 for everything but especially for voting. I don't think ANYONE under 20 ( but preferably 25) should be voting.

Yeah I don’t mean to be “that guy” but I guess I have always abided by the 18 for rifle and shotgun and 21 for handgun rule. That’s just how I grew up. Now I did grow up shooting my dad’s handguns but who didn’t right? It just bothered me and I didn’t feel comfortable. I know we all do some shady stuff here and I’m guilty to! Lol
I grew up the same way. I bought my first gun with my own money at 18 from a pawn shop in Macon in 89. Pistol gripped Western Field ( Mossberg) pump . But like you said, we grew up around guns and shooting a good bit. It's not the same ( in most cases) anymore. Fewer and fewer people have places to shoot. So that means their kids don't get to shoot or even introduced to firearms until years later. So TV and video games is all a lot of them know about guns. But it's not just a gun thing. I know "grown men" that can't drive a stick shift and can barely change a tire or use jumper cables.
Worse than that...I don't see it getting any better.

So, about that 18 year old who buys a handgun in a private party sale

or gets gifted one from an over 21 adult...

where is that teenage handgun owner going to get ammo?

Technically he can't buy it at any FFL retail establishment because handgun ammo has a 21 age limit.

More responding to classified ads and ammo trading websites?

Get adults over 21 to buy it for him in blatant straw purchases (that aren't a crime because there's no 4473 form for anybody to lie on, and no federal law banning 18 year olds from possessing guns.)

So, about that 18 year old who buys a handgun in a private party sale

or gets gifted one from an over 21 adult...

where is that teenage handgun owner going to get ammo?

Technically he can't buy it at any FFL retail establishment because handgun ammo has a 21 age limit.

More responding to classified ads and ammo trading websites?

Get adults over 21 to buy it for him in blatant straw purchases (that aren't a crime because there's no 4473 form for anybody to lie on, and no federal law banning 18 year olds from possessing guns.)
I usually buy from places that aren’t FFLs

Admin would sell you out quicker than a Karen.
So, I was contacted last night about a Glock I have up listed for sale. The guy wanted to know if I would privately sell to him being 19. I reported it to the admins and they said that private sells are fine in the state of Georgia even at 18 in Georgia for a hand gun? Is that right? Idk, about private sells but I was under the impression regardless of age you had to be 21 to buy a handgun. Can anyone confirm or clarify that?

Back
Top Bottom