• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber do you carry and why?

Can anyone find a reliable source for the average number of shots fired in a self defense situation? I've looked and can't find anything other than guesses and hearsay. You'd think the FBI would have the stat, but I can't find it on their web site.

Off duty I usually carry 9mm 124gr +p in my Glock 19 mainly because I like the ammo capacity and availability of 9mm. At work I car .40cal 165 gr in my glock 23.

Can anyone find a reliable source for the average number of shots fired in a self defense situation? I've looked and can't find anything other than guesses and hearsay. You'd think the FBI would have the stat, but I can't find it on their web site.

This is somewhat related. From http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

A review of law enforcement shootings clearly suggests that regardless of the number of rounds fired in a shooting, most of the time only one or two solid torso hits on the adversary can be expected. This expectation is realistic because of the nature of shooting incidents and the extreme difficulty of shooting a handgun with precision under such dire conditions. The probability of multiple hits with a handgun is not high.

Again, if anyone isnt familiar with this FBI study I would highly recommend reading it a few times over.

I'd say it is most true for compact pistols. For full size guns, especially with a .45 I've found polymer guns to be just as nice as a steel gun. I can say that the M&P 45, HK 45 and Glock 21 are some of the nicest shooting .45s out there. I shoot the M&P and Glock 21 faster and more accurately than a 1911.. and I've put some rounds through 1911s.

.40s on the other hand, they're just nasty in anything under a full size gun or medium sized heavy gun. If anyone wants some fun, try shooting a Kahr PM40...
Have to consider "compact" people, too. A 9mm steel compact can be quite snappy for a 98 lb. woman. That's why my wife's carry is a 5 shot reg. wt. 38 spl. snubbie with 148 gr. standard HP's. Not much velocity, but a big "thump" at the end.

Using the 9mm "more is better" theory, I think I've found the perfect carry piece:

i51.tinypic.com_166ywki.jpg

In theory, 30 hot .22 mag HP's would have to be better than 17 9mm and 13 .45's.

40 gr JHP 1,910 ft/s velocity 324 ft·lb energy

Wonder why the LEO's aren't carrying these 5.7's?

Last edited:
Hey, don't misread what I'm saying... we all know they have energy but that energy is greatly more significant with rifles than pistols when it comes to how they are effective in killing or gravely wounding an animal or person.

As far as limp-wristing or stovepiping goes, other people may have different experiences, but if someones technique is bad I see it in all calibers, not one specifically.

As far as your pistol goes... does it go "bang" everytime you pull the trigger?

Does it fit your hand well and do you really like it?

Does it feed your preferred carry rounds well?

If it meets all the criteria that you require, who cares what anyone else thinks?

That is one of the only platforms that I've not spent any time with so I can't comment about it's suitability or lack thereof.
If it works for you, don't worry what anyone else thinks though somehow I don't think you do.
Plus in your case I've got to think that you have the best of both worlds... a high capacity pistol with a serious, proven caliber.

BTW, none of the Glocks that I shoot the most often cost me more than $400 because I always buy them slightly used.

And stance can go out the window in given situations. Shooting over the hood of car while trying to remain in cover is not conducive to attaining the weaver stance, no matter how good your technique is. Again, intangibles.

Using the 9mm "more is better" theory, I think I've found the perfect carry piece:

i51.tinypic.com_166ywki.jpg

In theory, 30 hot .22 mag HP's would have to be better than 17 9mm and 13 .45's.

40 gr JHP 1,910 ft/s velocity 324 ft·lb energy

Wonder why the LEO's aren't carrying these 5.7's?

Because Kel-tec cannot make enough of them to keep the general public happy let alone the thousands they would have to make appear if they did get police contracts.

Back
Top Bottom