• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber do you carry and why?

Do the mags have stops on them? I was doing rapid reloads with my Eclipse with full size 8 round mags (normally takes short 7 rounders) and snapped the ejector pin right off.

I have X-Grip adapters on 2 CMC 8 rd. mags for my Officer size 1911, and factory adapters on my 2 Taurus 24/7 standard size 12's. It came with 1, and I bought another directly from Taurus.

Hey, don't misread what I'm saying... we all know they have energy but that energy is greatly more significant with rifles than pistols when it comes to how they are effective in killing or gravely wounding an animal or person.

As far as limp-wristing or stovepiping goes, other people may have different experiences, but if someones technique is bad I see it in all calibers, not one specifically.

As far as your pistol goes... does it go "bang" everytime you pull the trigger?

Does it fit your hand well and do you really like it?

Does it feed your preferred carry rounds well?

If it meets all the criteria that you require, who cares what anyone else thinks?

That is one of the only platforms that I've not spent any time with so I can't comment about it's suitability or lack thereof.
If it works for you, don't worry what anyone else thinks though somehow I don't think you do.
Plus in your case I've got to think that you have the best of both worlds... a high capacity pistol with a serious, proven caliber.

BTW, none of the Glocks that I shoot the most often cost me more than $400 because I always buy them slightly used.

I was just poking fun at the guys who equate quality to cost. Glocks are the perfect example of that not being true. As for as considering any gun, no matter the cost or quality, of being infallible is patently ridiculous, because there are too many contributing factors involved. You have to recognize the law of probability.

[/COLOR]
I was just poking fun at the guys who equate quality to cost. Glocks are the perfect example of that not being true. As for as considering any gun, no matter the cost or quality, of being infallible is patently ridiculous, because there are too many contributing factors involved. You have to recognize the law of probability.

Agreed... anything mechanical can break so I want the most reliable "tool" I can find.

Agreed... anything mechanical can break so I want the most reliable "tool" I can find.
I hear ya! I'm a frugal (not cheap; there's a difference) person, and I like to get the "most bang for the buck", so to speak, for about anything. That's why I like my 3" Taurus, even though so many people consider them crap. It's proven to be totally reliable to me, and I shoot it better than the 4" XD .45 I sold. Regardless of how reliable I find it though, it can't make up for a bad primer, etc. Too many intangibles......but it does have that double strike capability.....

How do you like it?

I've been using their Gold Dot 9mm for range work but I've just started using it... they have great prices even w/ freight.

I like it so far. I know they do not produce their own bullets but the three hollow points they use are Speer Hollow points, Gold dots, and Montana Gold. I have shot their .223 and 5.56 ammunition and had one primer malfunction out of 100 where it discharged upon closing the bolt. I think the ammo is great for the price. Other than the .223 incident I have no complaints.

Yep! I bought an olympic arms ar-15. Not the best, but after a few high quality add ons it runs like a top. I think the only thing left that is olympic on my ar-15 is the lower receiver LOL. Its been 100% since I bought it. Its best to practice jam/malfunction drills. I will get a buddy to load an ar-15 30 round mag, have him randomly put in 3 snap caps. Once it goes click (which is a total shock because someone else loaded) I practice clearing the bad round. Keeps you on your toes.

.38 Special, 9MM, .45 ACP, 7.62X25, .32 ACP, .357 Mag. .22 WMR, ETC. I own and use them all, they all work. Some are used as BUGs, others as trail guns, others still for secondary protection - because, as Clint says, the rifle or shotgun is what I'm fighting with if I know there's going to be a fight. Since I usually don't have that foresight and the 12-pound battle rifle is a little much to tuck away at the grocery store, the handgun proves useful. As for stopping power...

It can't be quantified, and I do not subscribe to the theory. Become proficient with your weapons, and God willing none of us have to use them against our fellow man.

I would love for someone to explain to "me" how and why a 45 is better than a 9mm. You can pm or come show me. I promise that if you put a 5.7(.224) or a 9mm or a 40 or a 45 in a vital area that someone will stop. And for the cop who shot the ex boxer in the stomach... well thats his own fault for not aiming at a better location like the upper torso.

Weight of the weapon and construction material have to be considered, too. Polymer frame guns are going to be more "snappy" than all-steel, the same as titanium or light-weight vs. regular frame 38 snubbies.

I'd say it is most true for compact pistols. For full size guns, especially with a .45 I've found polymer guns to be just as nice as a steel gun. I can say that the M&P 45, HK 45 and Glock 21 are some of the nicest shooting .45s out there. I shoot the M&P and Glock 21 faster and more accurately than a 1911.. and I've put some rounds through 1911s.

.40s on the other hand, they're just nasty in anything under a full size gun or medium sized heavy gun. If anyone wants some fun, try shooting a Kahr PM40...

Back
Top Bottom