• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What inspired you to like the guns you like?

My dad and my grandfather both had J frames. I am sure growing up around those led me to the J frame.
I found Glocks because a friend of mine carried them as an officer and told me a 19 was the gun to buy so I did. Of course he has moved on to suggesting Sig due to career change but Im still carrying a Glock. Actually most of the time he has gone back to his Cooper influenced 1911 roots. I havent taken that road yet.

I bought a Ruger MKI around 1978. Liked the design and reliability. About 10 years ago I bought a Ruger Great Eight on ODT. Loved the pistol. Always liked .22 target pistols. Saw all the MKII variations and thought it would be interesting to have one of each model. Still missing s few.

Growing up in New Mexico. Seems like EVERYONE open carried. Always revolvers and always nice, quality stuff. Even if their truck was a junker, their pistol and holster was quality.

Then I went to Iraq. And I learned the less it weighs the better. No need for “tacticool” nonsense.

So I’m in this weird spot between western arms and skeletonized military familiarity.

For me it was from a true classic: and the reason for my play on words ODT name…

The real 45/110.
TW-QUIGLEY-SHARPS-PHOTO-1_RR_scaled.png
Perhaps the most famous movie gun in recent cinema history, Tom Selleck’s 1874 Sharps copy earned stardom and lasting fame in MGM’s Australian Western, Quigley Down Under. Boasting a 34-inch octagon barrel, the rifle weighs a hefty 12 pounds, 14.1 ounces. Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Company.

Growing up it all people had were sporterized Lee Enfields in 303 or 303/25, and this was the early 80's even. For the little stuff it was all Phillipine made 22lr rifles bolt or semi auto. Sterlings mostly. And then you'd go to the range before a trip and someone would have a Model 70 or a Rem 700, and it would honestly draw a crowd. You'd be camping out and the Pro shooter would be working the farm next door and drop past, and you'd get a look at an old school Tikka, always in .222. So it's fun to shoot the modern stuff often, but the stuff I'm very slowly acumulating is the unobtanium of my childhood.

Back
Top Bottom