• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4570- that hurt

bearpugh

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
144   0
Reaction score
got to do some shooting yesterday with a couple of friends. hadn't shot the ol 45-70 in a couple of years since all my health issues. its just an h&r affectionatly known as the yard cannon. well 2 shots and i was done. one buddy managed 2 as well. his brother only 1. that ol girl will water your eyes,lol. sux getting old.

I remember the 1st time I ever shot mine, didn't have it pulled in tight to the shoulder and bout knocked my shoulder outa socket! I haven't shot it lately but I bet I don't make that mistake again! LOL!

Yep...45-70 is not a caliber for anyone remotely recoil sensitive. Especially out of a single shot cannon...I bet that thing does kick. Last thing I shot in 45-70 was a Marlin guide gun...pretty heavy so recoil wasn't terrible.

I saw a fella trying to be "mr.cool" with my brothers Marlin...scope busted the S&%T out of his eyebrow and left him with a nasty, nasty gash...The look on his face was priceless..I mean, he did see the size of the cartridge before shooting it..what the hell did he expect!? LOL!!!
Beastly caliber!

I watched a guy shoot one one day and then passed on the opportunity. He was a bigger than me and not having fun.

I'm 6'2" and about 300 lbs. - the 45-70 didn't kick my butt...but it wasn't exactly comfortable. I can shoot it...but wouldn't want to make a range gun out of it. By comparison, my .35 Rem is a putty-tat.

Last edited:
I'm 6'2" and about 300 lbs. - the 45-70 didn't kick my butt...but it wasn't exactly comfortable. I can shoot it...but wouldn't want to make a range gun out of it. By comparison, my .35 Rem is a $%#$%#$%#$%#$%# cat.

I'm only 5'8" and about 170 lbs. and my guide gun doesn't seem very heavy, especially when I'm touching off a 300gr. JHP! My shoulder starts getting pretty sore after about 4 or 5 rounds.

No, I will not give my height and weight. When that becomes a standard for replying, I will leave this site. I am sorry to know the height and weight of you guys. GEEZ! lol

Anyway, I too shot a guide gun 45/70. The key word there is shot, as in two times and never again. I just do not like it. Yeah, I did look at the bullet when I loaded it, but....well...it dang near took my shoulder off. I really have no need for something like that unless I am going to shoot elephants or water buffalo. There just aren't too many of those in Clayton County.lol

No, I will not give my height and weight. When that becomes a standard for replying, I will leave this site. I am sorry to know the height and weight of you guys. GEEZ! lol

Anyway, I too shot a guide gun 45/70. The key word there is shot, as in two times and never again. I just do not like it. Yeah, I did look at the bullet when I loaded it, but....well...it dang near took my shoulder off. I really have no need for something like that unless I am going to shoot elephants or water buffalo. There just aren't too many of those in Clayton County.lol

Awww, come on JWC......don't you remember the bear that got in the tree in Riverdale a few years ago? You can use one for bears! LOL! I used to own a house just a couple of blocks from where that happened, it sure had a lot of folks freaked out. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom