• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accurate enough 308

Its not cheap, but no more pricey than most other 30cal quality ammo. Agree though, if you have reloading equipment, it makes it much cheaper to shoot. I have 143gr 6.5cm down under $.70/rd, 308 can be done for very similar.

I roll a few up at my dads. Mainly .308 Sierra Game Kings in 150gr and use them for plinking and hunting. No need adjusting scopes for different rounds LoL

I think I saw a Big Woods Goods add for a Standard model that was $1200 and change. They are all over the map on ODT since there are a lot of options and variants.

i want a 308 that can reach out and touch something.

It needs to be semi auto mag fed.

Will a C308 suffice or should I go with a AR-10?

I have had a CETME before and I loved it. ARs are meh to me but I have never had an AR-10.

What's your price range for just the rifle? I get that answered, I can recommend something specifically.

Here's my thoughts, based upon experience, on .308 gas guns for precision work. I will preface this with the statement that the M14 and FN/FAL platforms are at the top of my list of favorite battle rifles.

M14/M1A:
Unless you just have to have an M14/M1A, I wouldn't recommend them, for a couple different reasons. First, you're dealing with a stock to action interface, just like on a bolt action, but the barreled action slams around a lot more than a bolt action. A bolt action slams straight back when fired; a semi-auto action slams back when fired, then forward when the bolt goes into battery. In the past, best accuracy for an M14 was achieved with a glass-bedded McMillan stock. This means take your $1400 rifle and stick it in a $800 stock, and pay someone $250 to bed it. Then avoid removing the barreled action from the stock as much as possible as it will wear on the bedding job, resulting in a loose fit. This ain't my wild guessing, this is wisdom from the USMC Rifle Team.

Nowadays, you have the advantage of purchasing a chassis system where metal connects to the metal of the rifle. Better overall than the McMillan setup, no worry about wear. Downside, costs as much or more than the McMillan + bedding and is oftentimes heavier.

The Springfield Armory M1A oftentimes suffers from inconsistent tolerances on the outside of the action, where the scope mount fits. This can cause windage/elevation issues, and cause the mount to work loose under recoil. Good news is that Sadlak Industries will take one of their mounts and fit it to your action, if it needs it. There are several companies that make a superior, hammer-forged action to the cast SAI action, but they are also more expensive. One company even makes an action with no rear sight and built-in Picatinny rails for scope mounting; the LRB M25. This solves the mounting issues nicely, and it's hammer forged to boot. Again, more expensive.

I ain't saying the M14 platform can't be accurate, because it surely can. My first issued Sniper Rifle in the Corps was a Quantico-built NM M14 on a TRW receiver. I've run a Hook Boutin-tuned SAI Loaded M1A to 1450yds with factory ammo and iron sights. I'm just saying that there are better options, that will shoot as good or better, with less concerns/maintenance, for less money. Go ahead, grab your pitchforks and light your torches.

FN/FAL and HK-type platform:
Lumping them together, similar battle rifles from the same general era. Not accurate enough for the money spent. HK tuned the crap out of the 91 to get it to shoot, ended up with the famous PSG1. Retail was $10,000 (that's the price 20 years ago) and it was guaranteed to shoot 1MOA. Mods included welded plates to the outside of the receiver to stiffen it. If weight is a concern for you, as issued the PSG1 weighed nearly 16lbs empty.

SCAR17:
Good option, the ones I've shot for distance shot very well, especially when the trigger is upgraded with a Geissele. Built-in Picatinny rail. Mags are around $40-$45, so quite a bit more expensive than say Magpul PMags in the same caliber. Make sure you run a good quality scope on the SCAR17 as they're known for being scope killers. Weird recoil impulse. My only real complaints are mag prices and scope killing. Last I checked, a new SCAR17 was around $2700-$2900. A comparably accurate AR10 can be picked up for less. Overall, I like the SCAR17. None of my complaints are enough to stop me from buying one, if I didn't already own several precision .308 gassers.

AR10:
By AR10 I mean any AR-type platform chambered in .308. Purists can bite me. In my opinion, best option of the currently available systems. You can pick up a DPMS GII Hunter, upgrade the trigger, and slap an optic on it. You're done and they are accurate. Built in Pic rail, if you run an AR15 you have commonality amongst weapon systems, by far the most industry supported .308 gasser out there.

What's your price range for just the rifle? I get that answered, I can recommend something specifically.

Here's my thoughts, based upon experience, on .308 gas guns for precision work. I will preface this with the statement that the M14 and FN/FAL platforms are at the top of my list of favorite battle rifles.

M14/M1A:
Unless you just have to have an M14/M1A, I wouldn't recommend them, for a couple different reasons. First, you're dealing with a stock to action interface, just like on a bolt action, but the barreled action slams around a lot more than a bolt action. A bolt action slams straight back when fired; a semi-auto action slams back when fired, then forward when the bolt goes into battery. In the past, best accuracy for an M14 was achieved with a glass-bedded McMillan stock. This means take your $1400 rifle and stick it in a $800 stock, and pay someone $250 to bed it. Then avoid removing the barreled action from the stock as much as possible as it will wear on the bedding job, resulting in a loose fit. This ain't my wild guessing, this is wisdom from the USMC Rifle Team.

Nowadays, you have the advantage of purchasing a chassis system where metal connects to the metal of the rifle. Better overall than the McMillan setup, no worry about wear. Downside, costs as much or more than the McMillan + bedding and is oftentimes heavier.

The Springfield Armory M1A oftentimes suffers from inconsistent tolerances on the outside of the action, where the scope mount fits. This can cause windage/elevation issues, and cause the mount to work loose under recoil. Good news is that Sadlak Industries will take one of their mounts and fit it to your action, if it needs it. There are several companies that make a superior, hammer-forged action to the cast SAI action, but they are also more expensive. One company even makes an action with no rear sight and built-in Picatinny rails for scope mounting; the LRB M25. This solves the mounting issues nicely, and it's hammer forged to boot. Again, more expensive.

I ain't saying the M14 platform can't be accurate, because it surely can. My first issued Sniper Rifle in the Corps was a Quantico-built NM M14 on a TRW receiver. I've run a Hook Boutin-tuned SAI Loaded M1A to 1450yds with factory ammo and iron sights. I'm just saying that there are better options, that will shoot as good or better, with less concerns/maintenance, for less money. Go ahead, grab your pitchforks and light your torches.

FN/FAL and HK-type platform:
Lumping them together, similar battle rifles from the same general era. Not accurate enough for the money spent. HK tuned the crap out of the 91 to get it to shoot, ended up with the famous PSG1. Retail was $10,000 (that's the price 20 years ago) and it was guaranteed to shoot 1MOA. Mods included welded plates to the outside of the receiver to stiffen it. If weight is a concern for you, as issued the PSG1 weighed nearly 16lbs empty.

SCAR17:
Good option, the ones I've shot for distance shot very well, especially when the trigger is upgraded with a Geissele. Built-in Picatinny rail. Mags are around $40-$45, so quite a bit more expensive than say Magpul PMags in the same caliber. Make sure you run a good quality scope on the SCAR17 as they're known for being scope killers. Weird recoil impulse. My only real complaints are mag prices and scope killing. Last I checked, a new SCAR17 was around $2700-$2900. A comparably accurate AR10 can be picked up for less. Overall, I like the SCAR17. None of my complaints are enough to stop me from buying one, if I didn't already own several precision .308 gassers.

AR10:
By AR10 I mean any AR-type platform chambered in .308. Purists can bite me. In my opinion, best option of the currently available systems. You can pick up a DPMS GII Hunter, upgrade the trigger, and slap an optic on it. You're done and they are accurate. Built in Pic rail, if you run an AR15 you have commonality amongst weapon systems, by far the most industry supported .308 gasser out there.
In regards to the SCAR, Handl makes a lower that allows use of PMAGS. Knock is it adds ALOT to the price of an already expensive 308, and you still have their crappy stock trigger....

In regards to the SCAR, Handl makes a lower that allows use of PMAGS. Knock is it adds ALOT to the price of an already expensive 308, and you still have their crappy stock trigger....

Yep......gotta buy A LOT of PMags to make up for the cost of the new lower!

I've run several 16"-18" .308 gas guns out to 1,000yds+.

Back
Top Bottom