• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alright you AK guys.....

Im more AR than AK too but I got 1 in a trade a few years ago thats a solid shooter. Its a Yugo M70 AB2 underfolder and even though it came from CIA its straight. All but 1 of the numbers match and Ive since put a quadrail handguard on it, not too much choice in customizing because of the grenade gas block sights on it. Not sure but I think Yugo/Zastava/Serbian are from the same factory, and I think they were sourced out by CIA hence it being a straight build.

The Chetniks do good work. On AK's and other interesting things.

Like @KERTWOOD stated only half the question was asked. There are plenty of quality ak's in the different price tiers worth considering. If you are just looking for a wood stock original looking ak for the safe then the wasr is probably the way to go. Buy one, shoot it, if ak's turn out to be your thing then other more expensive but not necessarily "better" ak's will be out there.

The Chetniks do good work. On AK's and other interesting things.
Thats a nice looking Yugo. Mine had the polymer stuff before I got the Quadrail and theyre as solid as a tank. I found a decent rubber butt pad that slides down in the folder butt that makes it real comfortable shooting. I'll try to get you a pic of it tomorrow.

Like @KERTWOOD stated only half the question was asked. There are plenty of quality ak's in the different price tiers worth considering. If you are just looking for a wood stock original looking ak for the safe then the wasr is probably the way to go. Buy one, shoot it, if ak's turn out to be your thing then other more expensive but not necessarily "better" ak's will be out there.
Im with you on that, like handguns, find out your primary purpose for it and go with the bells and whistles that suit the purpose.

Vepr's are very nice and INCREDIBLY over hyped hunting rifles. Nothing about them screams Kalashnikov to me.
ETA on veprs: After you buy them you need to spend even more money for furniture that makes it look like a military rifle.
Except that Veprs are built in the same factory and using the same parts as RPK (thicker barrel and receiver, front trunnion, etc), the Kalashnikov machine gun (naturally with exception of the parts that make it a full auto). Nothing Kalashnikov about it at all./sarcasm off
Arsenal converted Veprs are good to go out out of the box. The only 2 things missing are bayonet lug and cleaning rod holder. Whoop-ti do. And Veprs hold their own against Daniel Defence ARs. It is a big deal to me.

Except that Veprs are built in the same factory and using the same parts as RPK, the Kalashnikov machine gun. Nothing Kalashnikov about it at all.
Arsenal converted Veprs are good to go out out of the box. The only 2 things missing are bayonet lug and cleaning rod holder. Whoopti do. And Veprs hold their own against Daniel Defence ARs. It is a big deal to me.

Rob Ski approved

Except that Veprs are built in the same factory and using the same parts as RPK (thicker barrel and receiver, front trunnion, etc), the Kalashnikov machine gun (naturally with exception of the parts that make it a full auto). Nothing Kalashnikov about it at all./sarcasm off
Arsenal converted Veprs are good to go out out of the box. The only 2 things missing are bayonet lug and cleaning rod holder. Whoop-ti do. And Veprs hold their own against Daniel Defence ARs. It is a big deal to me.
You are absoultely correct in regards to the vepr build quality and reliability. The highest quality failed where the vepr strived. My qualms with the vepr are that it is overly heavy for a semi auto rifle in an intermediate caliber and are more expensive than SLR 107r.

Rob Ski approved

You are absoultely correct in regards to the vepr build quality and reliability. The highest quality failed where the vepr strived. My qualms with the vepr are that it is overly heavy for a semi auto rifle in an intermediate caliber and are more expensive than SLR 107r.

Have 2 VEPR's... one in 762X39 and one in 54r.... Very solid.... At some time I would like to get them off of these thumbhole stocks

Back
Top Bottom