• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best AR for $1100?

Application is key to any choice for me.

I see no reason to expect a $600.00 AR to be the end all of them. I see no reason to spend $1600.00 on one that'll be used for plinking or hunting.

I've repeated this many times, unless you just want a specific name brand the horsey for example, you can buy a $700.00 to $900.00 AR and make what you want out of it. Odds are it will outperform most shooters.

If I were going into battle, then yea, give me the best of the best, but I punch paper, shoot a groundhog, crow or two and on occasion deer hunt with most of mine.

If you want the best accuracy from 55 grain bullets, my experience shows that the 1/9 stainless works great. I don't buy any type of lined barrel when I'm looking for top accuracy. The 1/7 can induce a significant amount of spin drift when shooting stubby length bullets. Many will say theirs do great with anything, and they may get different results than I have. Any lined barrel must be produced oversized then lined to size. Not exactly a desirable product for my use. I own lined barrel AR's, but only in plinkers and HD apps.

It cost no more to produce a 1/7 than any other rate. Chrome and other linings are for harsh conditions and corrosive ammos. My AR's are rarely subjected to these. Choose the rate best suited for your application and expectations with what you intend to feed it.

Anal precision shooters choose the slowest rate that will stabilize their favorite bullets. They find the best accuracy is usually running right at the edge before tumbling. It's the bullets length, not weight that dictates the necessary rate of twist for best result. Every 1/9 I've tried the 75 grain Hornady in has performed great. However that same barrel may not shoot a much lighter yet longer mono-component from Barnes etc. I'm not as anal as I once was, nor am I into ordering custom barrels when today's off the rack ones shoot so well.

You never know if something is "just" gonna be for the range and I'm not the type of person that buys stuff that won't last. Now when I get it and put a thousand rounds through it the first month? No but I don't want to ever have to worry about my gun if I start all of a sudden shoot it a lot.

Get a BCM dude! Or DD, either way you can't lose for $1100.

Chevy ,ford .Same type thing there is no magical brand .Find what model or brand that has the most options you want and dont look back if you dont wanna build your own.

New I would just hit every major online store and compare, prices change weekly right now with the insanity going on. If you want, we can find you a sick deal on Arfcom or M4carbine.net , that would be your best bet. You could get something with some bells and whistles on it for the same price as a new one.

People here recommend SOTA because it is cheap, no other reason. I personally have no use for SOTA. You can't say the same thing about BCM.

i have no use for them for .223/5.56, but it sure does work for me in 7.62 with the ASC mags giving me a $400 solution to inflated ammo prices and "shortages". funny that id drop $1400 on a DD in a heartbeat and then chose SOTA without ever owning one for the 7.62. itll pay for itself in the savings after 3000 rounds. aint no purdy thing and sure dont want a safe full of them!

Last edited:
i have no use for them for .223/5.56, but it sure does work for me in 7.62 with the ASC mags giving me a $400 solution to inflated ammo prices and "shortages". funny that id drop $1400 on a DD in a heartbeat and then chose SOTA without ever owning one for the 7.62. itll pay for itself in the savings after 3000 rounds. aint no purdy thing and sure dont want a safe full of them!
I have a S&W M&P15R for that problem. Much cheaper than 7.62x39. ;)

Where would you order one from? G&R has a BCM for the same price as the Colt. I'm really looking hard at it.

GandR Tactical is the first place I'd look. They usually have midlength guns and carbines in stock.

I know some people will say I'm crazy, but I'd take the BCM over the Colt. Similar quality and spec, but the BCM is going to have a nicer finish to it.

Back
Top Bottom