• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handguns for Household with Small Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "extra" time for chambering is less an issue in your home..thus the shotgun is a better alternative, also less likely to penetrate walls with deadly force in a shoot out...I would recommend a shotgun as the only gun for home defense with children in home for this reason...carry whatever weapon you are comfortable with out of the home, it is in your complete control when carrying with you...Teach you children early about firearm safety...

A mechanical safety is not a solution, IMO.

It's simply another piece on the gun that can move, no more or no less dangerous, from the perception of the uninitiated/ignorant/immature than the trigger, or any grip safety.

What would preclude a child, picking up the gun, and trying out all the "levers"?

Once any safety was disengaged in such a manner (kids are WAY curious, and figure things out pretty quickly), having one on a gun in hopes of preventing a tragedy becomes moot.

Around a home with small kids, I think it is wise to either go unchambered, with a slide that is large enough and springs strong enough so that they cannot realistically chamber a round, or the gun ON YOUR PERSON, where you maintain control, or in a quick access safe, such as :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02ZQJVY3P2ZQ5V98JXAR

If you have your doors locked, if someone breaks in, you should have enough time, if you are aware, to get to a wepon, and chamber it.

Myself, I am never, inside my home, more than 20 feet away from a hidden and secure firearm.

I've raised nine children in my home where guns were always readily available. I don't know what age your children are, but I can tell you that at three years old, you can start making them familiar with guns. At three must have an understanding of the dangers, take them outside and shoot a watermelon with it and then explain that it will do the same with them. At the same time, get an Airsoft gun and let them start enjoying shooting. At four years old, my last one was firing a Smith 22a accurately, and could maintain it as well. By six, he was cleaning my ARs, and could name all the parts in my 1911 and identify must pistol calibers by sight.

If they are younger than three, simply store the weapon high. On top of the fridge, entertainment center etc, no real need to get another weapon.

If you store your weapons high, but high but have idiot adults around, simply lay down the ground rules for being at your house. There are things in life that are person, like my computer, my hats/caps, underwear...... don't touch them unless, I had it to you.

Luke

Keeping in mind your original question, you may want to consider a "Mini Cougar" Beretta 8040 F. It has a mecahanical safety, and you will be familiar with it if you've ever carried the military 9mm (Beretta 92F/ U.S. M9). There are obviously other safety considerations, such as accessability, which are being discussed in this thread.

My dad had a S&W .357 when i was growing up with a special safety device that he got installed inside the trigger grip. It took me a while to find this, but for your situation, i couldn't think of anything that would better fit your needs. Its called the Magna-Trigger Gun Safety. Basically, you install get a piece installed on the inside of your revolvers grip, one piece is magnetized, and while that magnet is engaged in the grip, it holds another piece that prevents you from pulling the trigger and rotating the cylinder. You get a ring when you send your gun off for this, and the ring you get also includes a magnet, of the opposite charge, so if you have the ring anywhere within 2-3 inches of the grip, it disengages the lock on the inside, and operates normally. My dad had this on his .357, but from the looks of their website they can do it on most S&W revolvers and some Rugers.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6162246_gun-ring-safety.html
http://www.tarnhelm.com/
http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigger/gun/safety/magna1.html

Hope this helps!

I didn't read through all the posts here but I will give my opinion in case someone else missed it. A gun like a Bersa 380 is small enough to conceal easily. It also has a decocker and safety which allow the trigger to be pulled without ever pulling the hammer back. Until the safety is disengaged, IT WILL NOT FIRE.

I also like the magna-trigger idea. Have heard of it but never seen it. I thought it was just a myth.

You should assume that ALL children can manipulate ANY safety made.
The only safe gun is one that you have control of, whether on your person or locked up in a manner that no one but you or your designates can get to. (like a gun safe, or gun lock) Don't forget to keep the keys under your control.
Children have a way of finding "hidden" things including ammo the "out of reach" idea only is effective if you can monitor the area when ever the gun is not stored.
There is no absolute way to keep a weapon out of a childs hands.
I agree that education is paramount.

You should assume that ALL children can manipulate ANY safety made.
The only safe gun is one that you have control of, whether on your person or locked up in a manner that no one but you or your designates can get to. (like a gun safe, or gun lock) Don't forget to keep the keys under your control.
Children have a way of finding "hidden" things including ammo the "out of reach" idea only is effective if you can monitor the area when ever the gun is not stored.
There is no absolute way to keep a weapon out of a childs hands.
I agree that education is paramount.

Well said Ken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom