• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Rifle Caliber For My Needs

Saying the .308 Winchester has a greater choice of loads available for it is like saying that there are more brands choices for size "AA" batteries than size "C" batteries, and you'll base your choice of portable radio on that factor.
WHo cares?
The .243 Winchester is one of the most popular hunting rifle rounds in the last half of the 20th century. It's EVERYWHERE. Midway USA's website shows 60 different kinds of .243 ammo in stock.
https://www.midwayusa.com/rifle-ammunition/br?cid=690
Now, there ARE 150 different kinds of .308 ammo, and even several 7.62 x 51mm on top of that, so what you say about "more choices" isn't WRONG. It's just irrelevant. 60 choices is enough for any hunting situation.
Some of those choices may include 105+ grain VLD bullets that can win national championships at 1000 yards.
(I've seen top-level champion John Whidden put on a demonstration shoot with his .243 match rifle, at 1000 yards.)
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017...-whidden-uses-243-win-for-long-range-shooting
Now go buy ammo at the local country store and see which is easier to find. You also didn't even mention the availability of weapons. Hell, just look in our own classifieds for that answer.

Why so much 308 hate?

Am I the only one that's noticed that the OP has only made one post? :fish2:

Lol I just looked at his profile, 1 post and is 17 years old! He can't even buy this stuff we are talking about yet lol.
He’ll be back on giveaway day and probably win a nice .308 rifle

OP specifically said light rifle, light recoil. .308 in a light rifle kicks like a mule.

For my money, .257 Roberts perfectly fits his wish list.

And I like the .308, just not the best fit for his request. I made the mistake once of trying to put together a lightweight .308 rig for hunting. Weighed 6 lbs, 2 oz with the scope, and would loosen your teeth. Kicked worse than my .300 Win Mag.

I also think it's interesting in today's internet world that people are concerned with whether the local walmart or Ace Hardware will have their chosen ammo. MidwayUSA, Cabela's, Lucky Gunner, Bass Pro, and Academy are everywhere you can touch a computer, and usually cheaper than your local big box store. Many local gun shops carry this stuff too.

And I like the .308, just not the best fit for his request. I made the mistake once of trying to put together a lightweight .308 rig for hunting. Weighed 6 lbs, 2 oz with the scope, and would loosen your teeth. Kicked worse than my .300 Win Mag.

I also think it's interesting in today's internet world that people are concerned with whether the local walmart or Ace Hardware will have their chosen ammo. MidwayUSA, Cabela's, Lucky Gunner, Bass Pro, and Academy are everywhere you can touch a computer, and usually cheaper than your local big box store. Many local gun shops carry this stuff too.
They make this neat new device called a muzzle brake, if the recoil of a 308 is too much for you.

Back
Top Bottom