• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you pass on a good deal if it requires a Bill of Sale?

You can peek and that's it.

My first buy had a BOS sprung on me. I was foolish enough to let him take a picture of my DL. Fortunately he let me take one of his also. Guess what...I was the victim of credit fraud about 6 months after the purchase and the only way the guy was caught was because I told the authorities about the transaction. Never ever ever ever again will I allow someone a copy of my information. You see my DL to see I am of age and a resident of GA. That is it. The end for me.

I am firm believer in your gun, your rules; my money my rules, and a meeting of those two rules somewhere in the middle where both parties are in agreement BEFORE any meet is secured. If a seller wants a BOS and you don't, move on. The same goes with copying of any type of ID. If you must see a GWL, state so in your ad, don't say "a peek at your GADL or GWL and then demand both at the meet. Say what you mean, mean what you say, and by all means, be a man of your word. For those who are paranoid and not comfortable following the law which requires none of the above, by all means, use a FFL and save everyone the drama.

Last edited:
Someone please explain to me why you wouldn't want to sign a Bill of Sale? I always require one as a paper trail that the gun no longer belongs to me should it be used in commission of a crime, etc at a later date. As far as identify theft, what does knowing someone's name and address give you? You can look that up in the phone book or online. I figured that a bill of sale was commonplace, so I'm surprised by those that are against it.

Someone please explain to me why you wouldn't want to sign a Bill of Sale? I always require one as a paper trail that the gun no longer belongs to me should it be used in commission of a crime, etc at a later date. As far as identify theft, what does knowing someone's name and address give you? You can look that up in the phone book or online. I figured that a bill of sale was commonplace, so I'm surprised by those that are against it.

The previous 11 pages didn't explain it? You could search for "BOS" and read the previous 100 similar threads also. Just sayin, it's been covered. ;)

Anyway, he's the short version explanation:

...I always require one as a paper trail... EERRRCH. Stop right there. That's it. No paper trail is required. It opens one up to more risk than it provides protection.

Someone please explain to me why you wouldn't want to sign a Bill of Sale?

Better question..Someone please explain to me why you couldn't answer this question based on the eleventy billion posts preceding yours?
farm8.staticflickr.com_7145_6832013133_b2574c5801.jpg

Back
Top Bottom